Sample timetable for the Intensive Course
Our Intensive is one of the most popular courses across our eight locations.
It has the right balance of hours of study to maximise fluency in a short period of time. Aside from the hours of General English, you will be able to choose from a range of Special Interest Groups.
What is included in the price
- 28 lessons per week
- Welcome Information Pack
- Placement test on arrival, weekly progress tests and regular homework
- Teaching materials and use of coursebook
- Use of Computer Learning Centre
- Access to ClassMate online learning
- Wireless internet in College
- Optional weekly lecture programme
- Two free social activities per week
- End-of-course certificate
From Kings Life
We spoke to Euna Kim, studying on the Intensive course in Boston, about her experience at Kings so far.
Course structure and content
28 lessons (21 hours) per week, mornings and afternoons, comprising:
- 20 lessons per week of General English
- 8 lessons per week in Special Interest Groups, in which you study a range of more specialist English language topics to suit your needs and interests.
Plus for courses of 12 weeks or more:
- up to 4 guided/facilitated self-study sessions each week.
Special Interest Groups
Students taking the Intensive Course have the option to choose from a range of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) to supplement their General English lessons. They are designed to develop students' specialist skills in English, or to give them experience of additional subjects which interest them. They will be able to apply English to a range of practical situations for study, work, or cultural interest. Students can choose from a wide range of SIGs, which may vary according to location and language level and are subject to availability. All SIGs are included in the price of the course.
SIGs are grouped along the four core outcomes:
Fluency and experience
- Speaking and pronunciation
- Reading and writing
- Film and drama
- Communicating effectively in English
- Current affairs and understanding the news
- Survival English
- Language out loud!
- American culture
- British culture and history
- Global citizenship
- Accent reduction
- Hashtag English
- Improv and acting
- Advanced language skills
- English for socialising and travel
- Conversation skills
- Email English
- Essential English
- Art and Design
- Global leadership
- Tricks of the Trade
- Résumé writing
- Business fluency
- English for work
- Legal English
- English of Wall Street
- English for tourism
- English for career development
- Diplomacy and negotiation
- Sales, marketing and retail
- English for meetings and presentations
- Networking in English
- Business and Finance
- TOEFL preparation
- Cambridge FCE/CAE
- Cambridge KET
- Cambridge PET
- Exam skills and strategies
- Academic reading and writing
- Graduate preparation
- Personal statements
- Online English
- Discussion skills
- Speak your mind
- University preparation skills
- Academic study skills
- EAP skills for success
- Contemporary topics
Long term study benefits
Book the Intensive Course for 12+ weeks and you will receive:
1. Kings Learning Guarantee: If you don’t achieve the result we’ve agreed with you in advance, you can study for free until you do.
2. Up to four free guided/facilitated self-study sessions including 1.5 hours of teacher led sessions and activities (except July and August).
3. Personalised study plan.
4. Written progress report.
5. One-to-one interview with a senior member of the teaching staff.
6. University Placement: Guidance from specialist university advisors/counsellors if you have plans to go to university in the UK or USA. (In the USA, placement guidance is for host partner universities only).
Benefits apply to students attending all classes and completing all assignments. Fees must be paid in advance to benefit from discounted course prices.