8 of the Top 20 Art & Design programs are in the United States, according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject for 2023:
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
The New School, New York
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC)
Art Center College of Design
Savannah College of Art and Design
Carnegie Mellon University
Why study Fashion and Design in the US?
- According to Harvard Magazine, “Fashion is not just a trivial interest, but a real indicator of where a culture is going. Like theater, film, art, or music, it has become one of the cultural vectors that give us a sense of what is going on in our society.”
- The internet and social media have significantly influenced the growth of fashion trends, increasing the demand for designs.
- The U.S. has produced great designers from universities across the country. New York’s The New School - Parsons School of Design has educated designers, Anna Sui, Donna Karan, Marc Jacobs, Isaac Mizrahi, Mark Badgley and James Mischka, Narciso Rodriguez, and many others.
- A fashion design major provides students with a platform for individuality, creativity, and global consciousness. According to InternationalStudent.com: “Clothing continues to occupy a central role in our national economy, our popular culture, even our ideologies of politics and sexuality. The history of fashion in the US is intertwined with almost every major development in American life. From the materials used to manufacture textiles, to the process by which our garments are made to the social values that dictate what we "should" look like, fashion is an ever-growing industry”
Typical Fashion and Design majors
- Fashion Design
- Textile Development and Marketing
- Design/ Technology – Costume Design
- Jewelry/ Accessory Design
- Accessories Design
- Textile/ Surface Design
Start your degree at Kings
Typical careers in Fashion and Design
- International Fashion Designer
- Fashion Merchandiser/ Buyer
- Fashion Marketing or PR Specialist
- Fashion Journalist or Blogger
- Fashion Product Manager
- Art and Fashion Director
- Costume Designer
- Jewelry Designer
- Shoe Designer
- Fashion Consultant
Thank you for your enquiry.
We'll be in touch soon.
The Kings Admissions Team