The University of Glasgow is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of universities, and consistently ranked in the UK Top 30. It is renowned globally for the quality of its teaching and research, in particular relating to the medical professions, although is featured in the Times and Sunday Times Top 10 subject rankings for over 20 different subjects in 2023. Whilst it is the fourth oldest university in the UK and boasts over 100 listed buildings within its campus, it offers a very modern learning environment within one of the world’s most vibrant, and affordable, student cities.
- #12 in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024
- #13 in the Guardian Good University Guide 2024
- #26 in the Complete University Guide 2024
- #82 in the Times Higher Education World University rankings 2023
- #1 for Animal Science, Education, Nursing, Sport Science and Veterinary Science (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024).
- #2 for Dentistry, Anatomy and Physiology, Art and Design, Classics and ancient history, Drama, Dance and Cinematics and Medicine (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024).
- #3 for Biological Sciences, Law and Subjects allied to medicine (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024).
Latest undergraduate enrolment
Latest postgraduate enrolment
- Alumni or former staff of the university include James Wilson (a founding father of the United States), engineer James Watt (invented the Watt steam engine), physicist Lord Kelvin and surgeon Joseph Lister (a pioneer of antiseptic surgery).
- Alumni also include seven Nobel Prize winners, a Prime Minister and Scotland’s First Minister.
- Honorary Graduate Albert Einstein gave a lecture at the university on the theory of relativity in 1933.
- The University’s Campus Development Programme will see an investment of £1 billion to ensure that it remains a centre for world-renowned research.