Is this course for me?
- This course is for students who do not yet have the English language level needed to start a Kings pre-university course.
- It is designed to provide careful and thorough preparation for the intellectual and linguistic demands of GCSE, A-level or Kings Foundation courses.
Course structure and content
- Kings Bournemouth
- Kings Brighton
- Kings London
- Kings Oxford
- September 2021
- January 2022
- April 2022
- June 2022
- Minimum IELTS (or equivalent) 4.0
- 27.5, plus an hour per day for extra activities
- 4 - 10 (Extended Programme Group lessons)
- Max. 15 for General English and Special Interest Groups
- Raise English to level required for an academic programme at Kings
- Gain study skills required for an academic programme at Kings
English Preparation students join General English classes and a Special Interest Group. Students often select the Listening and Speaking Special Interest Group (SIG) at the beginning, and then move on to the IELTS, although there are a range of options available.
In addition to this, students attend two or three (depending on the term) additional English Preparation group lessons per week, in which they focus on communication skills and begin thinking about academic English.
In addition, they have a weekly tutorial.
As they move into the final stages of their course, prior to progressing to their academic programme, they are re-introduced to their Academic Course Director and invited to spend some time with the most relevant Head of Department and our UCAS Coordinator.
Throughout their course, students are encouraged to engage as much as possible in social activities, clubs, and societies.
Successful application and effort should ensure students progress by an average of IELTS 0.5 every 6 – 12 weeks.
Once they reach the required level, they can proceed directly to their chosen academic programme at Kings.