Sample timetable for the Intensive Course
The Intensive Course is one of the most popular courses across our eight locations.
It has the right balance of hours of study to maximise fluency in a short period of time. Aside from the hours of General English, you will be able to develop their skills and knowledge in a particular language area through a range of Special Interest Groups.
What is included in the price
- 28 lessons per week
- Welcome Information Pack
- Placement test on arrival, weekly progress tests and regular homework
- Guidance from specialist university advisors (if required)
- Course materials
- Use of Computer Learning Centre
- Access to ClassMate, the Kings online learning platform
- Access to the Kings Learning Progress Guarantee (12 weeks+ bookings)
- One-to-one interview with a senior academic staff member every 6 weeks (12 weeks+ bookings)
- WiFi internet in College
- Optional weekly lecture programme
- Two free social activities per week
- End-of-course certificate (90% or higher attendance required)
From Kings Life
We spoke to Euna Kim, studying on the Intensive course in Boston, about her experience at Kings so far.
Tracking and testing your progress
For students of 12 weeks or more
We run a progress benchmarking or testing schedule every 6 weeks for our long-term students. This is designed to assess you across the key skills areas in order to assign you a final grade at the end of your course:
- Your target will be realistic but challenging
- You can compare your progress to other measures (IELTS/ TOEFL/ Cambridge/ CEFR)
- You will receive regular assessment and individual tutorials every 6 weeks
The 6-weekly progress assessments for 2019 will take place in the weeks commencing:
11 February, 25 March, 6 May, 17 June, 29 July, 9 September, 21 October, 2 December 2019.
You will also be continually assessed based on your performance in class, in homework assignments, and in your weekly in-class progress tests.
All students will receive an 'End of Course Report' with a final grade assigned, no matter which dates they start and finish.
Course structure and content
28 lessons (21 hours) per week, mornings and afternoons, comprising:
- 20 lessons (15 hours) per week of General English
- 8 lessons (6 hours) per week in Special Interest Groups, which offer a range of more specialist English language topics to suit students' needs and interests
Optional for courses of 12 weeks or more:
- Up to 4 guided study sessions each week
Book the Intensive Course for 12+ weeks and you will receive:
- Kings Learning Guarantee
- Personalised study plan
- Access to Kings' tracking and testing procedures, inlcuding regular progress assessments and regular one-to-one tutorials with a senior academic staff member
General English classes
During the General English component of the course, students can expect to cover:
- Note taking
- Research skills
- Time management
- Dictionary work
- Learner autonomy
Cultural and personal development
- Understanding cultural difference and similarity
- Working with others
- Presenting an argument
Special Interest Groups
Students taking the Intensive Course have the option to choose from a range of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) to supplement their General English lessons. They are designed to develop students' specialist skills in English, or to give them experience of additional subjects which interest them.
They will be able to apply English to a range of practical situations for study, work, or cultural interest. Students can choose from a wide range of SIGs, which may vary according to location and language level and are subject to availability. All SIGs are included in the price of the course.
SIGs are grouped along the four core outcomes:
Fluency and Experience
- Vocabulary Development
- Conversation Skills
- Group Discussion
- Elementary Skills
- British Culture and History
- Survival English
- Discussion Skills
- American Culture
- Cinema and Television
- Speaking, Drama and Pronunciation
- Business Fluency
- English for Work
- Legal English
- English Plus Marketing and Digital Media
- IELTS Preparation
- TOEFL Preparation
- GMAT Preparation
- Cambridge English: Proficiency
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
- Cambridge English: First (FCE)
- Masters Preparaton
- Masters Preparation
- GMAT Preparation
- Academic Reading and Writing
- Reading and Writing
For further information on these SIG options:
The Kings SIGs Guarantee
We guarantee that a Special Interest Group in all 4 of our key learning outcome areas will be available in all schools, at all times — Fluency and Experience, Professional Success, Exam Success, University Success.
Whatever your desired goal, you will have the opportunity to pick the classes that will help you get there. Specific SIGs will vary dependent on dates and may require a minimum language level to join.
Career Guidance (all schools)
All students will also have access to additional Career Guidance, which is offered as a guaranteed afternoon enrichment opportunity across all schools. This is an ideal option for gap-year students or for those who want additional advice about the next steps, whether that be going on to further education or starting a career. Options will vary across schools and times of year, but you can expect opportunities including:
- Build on important skills such as creating the perfect CV, performing well in interviews, giving engaging presentations
- University advice — which course is right for you? Which universities are best for your course or subject?
- Attend talks and discussions introducing many different sectors of working society — finance, business, education, marketing, etc.
- Psychometric testing — guiding students through internationally recognised testing systems to analyse their skills and strengths