Sample timetable for the Diploma of Intensive English
This long-term course is the best value way to achieve real fluency. You can gain specific subject knowledge through Special Interest Groups and will benefit from your own personalised study plan, regular tutorials to check on your progress, and the option to take an officially recognised exam.
What is included in the price
- 28 lessons per week
- Welcome Information Pack
- Placement test on arrival, weekly progress tests and regular homework
- One-to-one interview with a senior academic staff member every 6 weeks
- Guidance from specialist university advisors (if required)
- One free exam fee (TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge)
- Access to the Kings Learning Progress Guarantee (see below)
- Course materials and free grammar book
- Use of Computer Learning Centre
- Access to ClassMate, the Kings online learning platform
- Walk-to-class accommodation guarantee
- WiFi internet in College
- Optional weekly lecture programme
- Two free social activities per week
- End-of-course certificate (90% or higher attendance required)
The Kings Learning Progress Guarantee
If you are studying an Intensive Course for 12 weeks+ or the Diploma of Intensive English, we guarantee you will reach the level we have agreed with you. If you don't — provided you have attended all classes and completed all assignments — you can study for free until you do!
No matter what level you start, we guarantee you'll make the progress we set for you. We'll agree a challenging but attainable target with you. Then we'll make a personalised plan to help you meet it.
We use our own Kings English Level Scale, benchmarked against all main exams and assessment scales. All along, we'll check your progress to make sure you are on track.
The benefits of studying long term
If you follow an Intensive Course of 24+ weeks, or the Diploma of Intensive English, you’ll gain all these extra benefits:
1. Complimentary IELTS/ TOEFL/ Cambridge exam fee
For all students who study for 24+ weeks. Make your achievements official with a globally recognised exam accreditation.
2. Track your progress
With regular testing and one-to-one meetings with senior teachers. Students who study for 12 weeks or more will be examined weekly on class content, sit 6-weekly level tests to track progress and meet with senior tutor every 6 weeks on a one-to-one basis to discuss their progress and goals.
3. Multi-destination study
Take the chance to live in two different cities, or even two different continents! Our academic team works as a group, so you can start and finish in any Kings location.
4. Ultimate value for money
The longer you study, the cheaper your course becomes, as the weekly course price for long-term study is lower.
5. Complete cultural immersion
Take time to mix with locals and feel completely at home in your new city.
6. Personalise your course
Take a wide range of Special Interest Group (SIG) classes. Studying long-term will allow you to study a variety of SIG classes and improve your language skills and fluency in many areas of interest.
Tracking and testing your progress
For students of 12 weeks or more
We run a progress benchmarking or testing schedule every 6 weeks for our long-term students. This is designed to assess you across the key skills areas in order to assign you a final grade at the end of your course:
- Your target will be realistic but challenging
- You can compare your progress to other measures (IELTS/ TOEFL/ Cambridge/ CEFR)
- You will receive regular assessment and individual tutorials every 6 weeks
The 6-weekly progress assessments for 2019 will take place in the weeks commencing:
11 February, 25 March, 6 May, 17 June, 29 July, 9 September, 21 October, 2 December 2019.
You will also be continually assessed based on your performance in class, in homework assignments, and in your weekly in-class progress tests.
All students will receive an 'End of Course Report' with a final grade assigned, no matter which dates they start and finish.
From Kings Life
Shu-Yun (Sophia) from Taiwan is taking the Diploma of English at Kings Brighton, and shares her impressions of the school and the city.
Course structure and content
28 lessons (21 hours) per week, mornings and afternoons.
- 20 lessons (15 hours) per week of General English
- 8 lessons (6 hours) per week in Special Interest Groups, which offer a range of more specialist English language topics to suit students' needs and interests
- Option of 4 guided study sessions each week
General English classes
During the General English component of the course, students can expect to cover:
- Note taking
- Research skills
- Time management
- Dictionary work
- Learner autonomy
Cultural and personal development:
- Understanding cultural difference and similarity
- Working with others
- Presenting an argument
Special Interest Groups
Students taking the Diploma of Intensive English course have the option to choose from a range of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) to supplement their General English lessons. They are designed to develop students' specialist skills in English, or to give them experience of additional subjects which interest them.
They will be able to apply English to a range of practical situations for study, work, or cultural interest. Students can choose from a wide range of SIGs, which may vary according to location and language level and are subject to availability. All SIGs are included in the price of the course.
SIGs are grouped along the four core outcomes:
Fluency and Experience
- Vocabulary Development
- Conversation Skills
- Group Discussion
- Elementary Skills
- British Culture and History
- Survival English
- Discussion Skills
- American Culture
- Cinema and Television
- Speaking, Drama and Pronunciation
- Business Fluency
- English for Work
- Legal English
- English Plus Marketing and Digital Media
- IELTS Preparation
- TOEFL Preparation
- GMAT Preparation
- Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
- Cambridge English: First (FCE)
- Masters Preparaton
- Masters Preparation
- GMAT Preparation
- Academic Reading and Writing
- Reading and Writing
For further information on these SIG options:
The Kings SIGs Guarantee
We guarantee that a Special Interest Group in all 4 of our key learning outcome areas will be available in all schools, at all times — Fluency and Experience, Professional Success, Exam Success, University Success.
Whatever your desired goal, you will have the opportunity to pick the classes that will help you get there. Specific SIGs will vary dependent on dates and may require a minimum language level to join.
Career Guidance (all schools)
All students will also have access to additional Career Guidance, which is offered as a guaranteed afternoon enrichment opportunity across all schools. This is an ideal option for gap-year students or for those who want additional advice about the next steps, whether that be going on to further education or starting a career. Options will vary across schools and times of year, but you can expect opportunities including:
- Build on important skills such as creating the perfect CV, performing well in interviews, giving engaging presentations
- University advice — which course is right for you? Which universities are best for your course or subject?
- Attend talks and discussions introducing many different sectors of working society — finance, business, education, marketing, etc.
- Psychometric testing — guiding students through internationally recognised testing systems to analyse their skills and strengths
University or professional success
You can also combine your course with a semester or two on the International Business Foundation. It's a great path to university or to fast track your professional success.
Gain recognised, formal qualifications
The Diploma of Intensive English is a great way to prepare for formal language exams — such as IELTS, TOEFL or the Cambridge Exams — all recognised by universities and employers around the world. One free exam entrance fee is included in the price for all Diploma of Intensive English students.
Students taking the Diploma of Intensive English will also receive a full end-of-course report and certificate from Kings.