Sample timetable for English For Fashion, Art and Design
This course is perfect for students who want to combine language development with an experience of New York's trend-setting fashion, art and design scenes. The course will include some introductory classroom work but will focus largely on real life exposure to what New York has to offer with weekly visits to well-known institutions.
What is included in the price
- 28 lessons per week
- Welcome Information Pack
- Placement test on arrival, weekly progress tests and regular homework
- Course materials
- Access to college library computers
- Access to ClassMate, the Kings online learning platform
- WiFi internet in college
- Optional weekly lecture programme
- Accompanied visits to New York area-based organizations, schools, museums, architectural sites
- Two free social activities per week
- End-of-Course certificate (90% or higher attendance required)
From Kings Life
English For Fashion, Art and Design student Justine, from France, shares her thoughts on living and studying at Kings New York.
Course structure and content
In the mornings students will have lessons in General English and on two afternoons or evenings they will take part in a specialized Fashion, Art and Design class. These sessions will include both classroom-based instruction as well as ventures into New York for real-life experiences of these areas in context.
Classroom based lessons will focus on areas such as fashion theory, art history, architecture, photography, print and digital.
Sample topics include:
- Evolution of fashion in the US — 100 years of fashion for men and women
- Fashion and consumerism
- Style and spending; personal shopping habits
- Art history: the origins of art
- Fine art: 20 iconic works of art from around the world
- Photography: photoshop manipulation — ethical or creative? Architecture, landscape and interior design
- Print and digital design: the Dos and Don'ts
Weekly visits will be to New York's world-renowned museums and galleries, such as The Museum of FIT, The Guggenheim, The Mood Museum of Design, and MOMA.
At certain times of year there will also be potential opportunities to participate in NYC's popular art, fashion, and design events, such as New York Fashion Week.
2. Presentation skills
3. Reflective writing
4. Appreciation of Fashion, Art and Design through the lens of New York