Section 2: Course structure and content
- 20 lessons (15 hours) per week of General English and Professional Communication.
- 8 lessons (6 hours) per week in Special Interest Groups, which cover a range of specialist English language topics.
The Intensive 25+ program helps students to develop the essential skills needed for using English in their professional and personal lives.
Important international communication skills, including reading newspapers, writing emails, study skills, and group-work techniques are covered.
General English and professional communication
Your general English lessons will be designed to improve your reading, writing, speaking and listening at a consistent rate. Each week, lessons will focus on a different topic.
Key areas covered include:
- Conversational language skills
- Listening and accents
- Reading and interpretation
- Writing and presenting
- Building your vocabulary bank
- Fine tuning your pronunciation
- Interpretation of texts
- Grammar and syntax
Cultural and personal development
- Understanding cultural difference and similarity
- Team work and leadership
- Presenting an argument
- Discussion skills
Students will learn to evaluate themselves and society, reflect upon their studies and learning, and develop work and career goals.
You will work on skills that will enable you to do things such as:
- Set goals and discuss personal action plans
- Prepare and give a short presentation and give feedback on others'
- Persuade others by raising objections and making suggestions
- Turn problems into solutions in activities such as presenting a business idea
- Think logically and discuss logical thinking
- Develop memory and discuss memory tools
- Prepare for a job interview and describe work experiences
Special Interest Groups (SIGs)*
As well as your General English classes you can choose from a range of Special Interest Groups (SIGs). These are included in the course price.
These develop your specialist skills in English or give you experience of subjects which interest you.
They will help you use English in practical situations for study, work, or cultural interest.
SIGs vary according to location and the required language level.
Popular class subjects include:
- Conversation Skills
- Vocabulary Builder
- Business English
- American/British Culture
- Group Discussion
- Pronunciation Practice
*SIGs are not limited to students aged 25 years or older and are subject to availability. The required minimum language level for different SIG classes may vary. Note that the choice of subjects will depend on the student’s level of English and the time of year.
The SIG Guarantee
Kings guarantees that Special Interest Group always be available in each of the 4 key learning outcomes:
- Fluency and Experience
- Professional Success
- Exam Success
- University Success