The Kings Difference
Kings Oxford provides a modern alternative for ambitious students who are looking for a mature yet supportive learning environment and community in which they can express their own identity and explore their interests.
We provide an environment which supports students in their development to become responsible and independent learners and young adults, based on a mutual respect between staff and students.
Teachers and students work together in partnership, on a first name basis without uniforms and assemblies, exploring the subject areas to gain an in-depth understanding of the course content, and to develop and apply transferable skills. Examination structure and techniques are assessed in detail, and personal strategies developed to maximise the results achieved.
Learning is contextualised to facilitate understanding and provide inspiration for students in their choices for further studies and potential careers. This is augmented by a range of extra-curricular activities and opportunities to add to our students' experience and university applications.
Our team of personal tutors, welfare support team and UCAS advisors monitor every aspect of our students' personal and academic development. Students are guided through their exploration of the opportunities available to them at university; identifying the most relevant options for their individual interests, learning styles and ambitions, and ensuring they are fully prepared for the application process. This includes guidance and coaching for any additional assessment or interview requirements.
We provide a range of GCSE, A-level, Year 12 transfer and Art and Design Foundation courses, with September and January start date options, which enable ambitious students to achieve their full potential and aspirations.
1. Student-centred ethos
- Highly personalised approach to learning and pastoral development
- Friendly and empowering college community — on a human scale
2. Exceptionally small classes and individual attention
- Just 4 – 10 in a class at GCSE and A-level
- Maximum contact time with subject specialists
3. Outstanding examination results
- Consistently in the top 10% of schools in England
Kings 2018 A-level results:
- A* pass rate 75% above the national average
- A*A pass rate 38% above the national average
- 39% exceeded predictions by two or more grades
Kings 2018 GCSE results include:
- 81% A* – B (9 – 6)
- 86% A* – C (9 – 4)
- 48% Grades 9 – 7 in Maths
4. Support and personal development
- Extensive personal tutor and pastoral care team
- Wide range of extra-curricular activities
- Engagement in work experience projects and research
5. Leading university destinations
- Extensive and individually tailored support for university degree selection and application
- Full UCAS guidance
- Specialist preparation for additional university assessments: UKCAT, BMAT, TSA, LNAT, Personal Statements and Interviews
- Making the most of your talents and achievements whatever your ambitions may be: Oxbridge, Medicine, Law, Art and Design, and more
- Work experience and research opportunities with local, national and international organisations.
Go to Next Step: University for more information about university destinations and range of subjects.
6. Global Perspective and Opportunities
- Develop a global outlook for your future
- Assess opportunities for further study in the UK or overseas
- Share ideas and concepts with students from across the globe
7. Experienced academic and pastoral team
Our academic and pastoral leadership team is formed of highly experienced professionals.
Between them, they have well over 100 years' experience of providing academic and personal support to young people at the most important time of their lives.
B.Phil. (Psychology), QTS Teaching Certificate, Ofsted school inspector (over 20 years’ experience)
Mike has over 40 years’ experience as a Head Teacher, director and consultant of international education projects and schools’ inspector.
Course Director, A-level and GCSE
MA., BA(Hons), PGCSE
Paul has over 40 years’ experience as Deputy Head Teacher, Chief Examiner, Subject Adviser and Educational Consultant in both the UK and Europe.
Student Welfare Officer
Gerda has worked at Kings Oxford for many years. As Welfare Officer, she is always on hand to help and support the students as they adjust to college life.
8. Credentials you can trust
“School leaders and directors have ensured that all the independent school standards are met. They have created a strong welcoming open ethos. Students from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds have developed secure, trusting relationships.”
“Teachers plan interesting and stimulating activities that engage students well. This enables them to make good progress in their learning.”
“Students display positive attitudes to learning. They are attentive and keen to do their very best in lessons and in all their work. They are determined to be successful.”
“Students’ behaviour is mature and self-disciplined. Their discussions and conversations show that they have a deep respect for the thoughts and ideas of their fellow students.”
“Bespoke careers guidance enables students to make the most suitable choices for their next stage of education. Almost all students successfully secure places at the university they choose.”
— Extracts from most recent Ofsted Inspection Report for Kings Oxford (May 2016)
"When I reflect upon the achievements of Kings students at Loughborough University, they stand out by virtue of their generally above-average degree results and their willingness and ability to immerse themselves in the life of our vibrant student community. Having often liaised with Kings admissions and teaching staff, I can assuredly put these successes down in large part to the sound preparation for university life that Kings students receive."
"It is hard to put into words, it is amazing to think how far I have come, as a journey. The help I have been given, the guidance and support… Just getting me to this point is unbelievable, I am over the moon."
— Kings student Joe, on receiving his A-level Results 2018.
9. A history of success
Kings Education: 60 years of global success
Kings has been at the forefront of educational success since 1957, when the first college was opened in Bournemouth.
Today we teach thousands of students across our 10 worldwide campus locations. They come to us each year from over 80 countries.
Kings Oxford opened in 1986, our other UK colleges are in Bournemouth, Brighton and London.
In the US, we operate successful pre-university colleges in Boston, Los Angeles, New York, Wisconsin and New Jersey.
We also run pre-university operations in Europe and Asia.
You can read much more about us at kingseducation.com
Or visit our blog life.kingseducation.com
10. Kings Social Responsibility
Sustainability – Community – Education
We aim to make a difference across these three main areas as part of our social responsibility initiatives and we encourage our students and staff to organise and take part in them.
For more details visit kingseducation.com/ksr.
We are proud to partner with United World Schools, a charity that builds and sustains new schools in some of the world's most disadvantaged regions.
We have committed to support the work of UWS by funding the building and resourcing of at least one new school each year, which we do through student and staff fundraising.