The Kings Brighton Difference
Kings Brighton provides a new alternative for ambitious students who are looking for a mature yet supportive learning environment and community in which they can express their own identity and explore their interests.
We provide an environment which supports students in their development to become responsible and independent learners and young adults, based on a mutual respect between staff and students.
Teachers and students work together in partnership, on a first name basis without uniforms and assemblies, exploring the subject areas to gain an in-depth understanding of the course content, and to develop and apply transferable skills. Examination structure and techniques are assessed in detail, and personal strategies developed to maximise the results achieved.
Learning is contextualised to facilitate understanding and provide inspiration for students in their choices for further studies and potential careers. This is augmented by a range of extra-curricular activities and opportunities to add to our students' experience and university applications.
Our team of personal tutors, welfare support team and UCAS advisors monitor every aspect of our students' personal and academic development. Students are guided through their exploration of the opportunities available to them at university; identifying the most relevant options for their individual interests, learning styles and ambitions, and ensuring they are fully prepared for the application process. This includes guidance and coaching for any additional assessment or interview requirements.
We provide a range of GCSE, A-level and Art Foundation programmes to enable ambitious students to achieve their full potential and aspirations.
1. Student-centred ethos
- Highly personalised approach to learning and pastoral development
- Friendly and empowering college community — on a human scale
2. Exceptionally small classes and individual attention
- Just 4 – 10 in a class at GCSE and A-level
- Maximum contact time with subject specialists
3. Outstanding examination results
- Consistently in the top 10% of schools in England
Kings 2018 A-level results:
- A* pass rate 75% above the national average
- A*A pass rate 38% above the national average
- 39% exceeded predictions by two or more grades
Kings 2018 GCSE results include:
- 81% A* – B (9 – 6)
- 86% A* – C (9 – 4)
- 48% Grades 9 – 7 in Maths
4. Support and personal development
- Extensive personal tutor and pastoral care team
- Wide range of extra-curricular activities
- Engagement in work experience projects and research
5. Leading university destinations
- Extensive and individually tailored support for university degree selection and application
- Full UCAS guidance
- Specialist preparation for additional university assessments: UKCAT, BMAT, TSA, LNAT, Personal Statements and Interviews
- Making the most of your talents and achievements whatever your ambitions may be: Oxbridge, Medicine, Law, Art and Design, and more
- Work experience and research opportunities including Apple and Barclays Eagle Labs
6. Global Perspective and Opportunities
- Develop a global outlook for your future
- Assess opportunities for further study in the UK or overseas
- Share ideas and concepts with students from across the globe
7. Experienced leadership team
While Kings Brighton is a brand-new college, our academic and pastoral leadership team is formed of highly experienced professionals.
Between them, they have well over 100 years' experience of providing academic and personal support to young people at the most important time of their lives.
BSc Chemistry and Physics (London); PGCE (Cambridge)
Nigel has over 20 years' experience as a Principal of independent sixth-form colleges, having held the position at leading colleges in Cambridge and Brighton.
Director of College Services
Sara has worked in education for over 25 years. She oversees the residence, student services, catering, buildings and maintenance, as well as all aspects of student pastoral care. Sara is our safeguarding and welfare lead and is responsible for compliance in this area.
Head of Academic Subjects
As Head of Academic Subjects, Marc works with the academic team to support our students' learning and academic development. He has extensive experience as a senior academic in Further Education and independent schools and colleges.
Student Services Officer
Sofia manages our reception, providing a warm welcome and support for all visitors, staff and students. She is also central to the organisation of a broad range of extracurricular activities.
8. Credentials you can trust
"Leaders are ambitious and have a clear vision for the college. They have worked relentlessly to ensure that the college fully complies with all the independent school standards, including those for safeguarding."
"The curriculum is broad and balanced, with a strong subject-based focus. The promotion of students' spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is strong. Teaching and learning are effective in enabling students to make good progress in their academic and personal development."
— Extracts from most recent Ofsted Inspection Report for Kings Brighton (June 2018)
You can read full inspection reports on our Kings Education website.
"When I reflect upon the achievements of Kings students at Loughborough University, they stand out by virtue of their generally above-average degree results and their willingness and ability to immerse themselves in the life of our vibrant student community… I can assuredly put these successes down in large part to the sound preparation for university life that Kings students receive."
"It is hard to put into words, it is amazing to think how far I have come, as a journey. The help I have been given, the guidance and support… Just getting me to this point is unbelievable, I am over the moon."
— Kings Brighton student Joe, on receiving his A-level Results 2018.
9. A history of success
Kings Education: over 60 years of global success
Kings has been at the forefront of international educational success since 1957, when the first college was opened in Bournemouth.
Today we teach thousands of students across our 10 worldwide campus locations. They come to us each year from over 80 countries.
Kings Brighton joins Kings London, Kings Oxford and Kings Bournemouth in the UK.
In the US, we operate successful pre-university colleges in Boston, New York, Los Angeles and New Jersey.
We also run pre-university operations in China and Malaysia.
You can read much more about us at kingseducation.com
Or visit our blog life.kingseducation.com
10. Kings Social Responsibility
Sustainability – Community – Education
We aim to make a difference across these three main areas as part of our social responsibility initiatives and we encourage our students and staff to organise and take part in them.
For more details visit kingseducation.com/ksr.
We are proud to partner with United World Schools, a charity that builds and sustains new schools in some of the world's most disadvantaged regions.
We have committed to support the work of UWS by funding the building and resourcing of at least one new school each year, which we do through student and staff fundraising.