Kings Olympiad scholarship winners in Portuguese-speaking Africa
Kings was very excited to be able to award five ‘Kings Changing Lives Scholarships’ to students from across Portuguese-speaking Africa through the recent Olympiad competition.
After welcoming many wonderful students from Angola and other Lusophone countries in Africa to Kings in recent years, we were keen to expand our opportunities for students in the region.
The Kings Olympiad competition was run in conjunction with our trusted partner, Veronica Martire, of UK Student Solutions Ltd.
The Olympiad competition was promoted via social media and was open to applications between 18th December 2020 – 22nd January 2021.
The students competed to win partial tuition scholarships for either the Kings Advanced Level Foundation or A-level programme.
The competition was open to students from Mozambique, Angola, Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde and Sao Tome e Principe. Entrants had to be under 20 years old and either attending, or having recently concluded, year 12 of their high school studies.
After students had applied, they had to go through three stages:
- Take the Kings online English test and send in a copy of their high school transcript
- Send a 5-minute video presentation to us on a list of pre-selected topics
- Have a short interview with Kings
Popular topics among the students for the presentations included gender equality, the effect of pandemics in their countries and their view on a decisive historical moment in their country. The students with the best presentations were shortlisted for an interview with the school and Veronica which took place in early March 2021.
We had a fantastic turn-out in the competition, with over 1500 applications submitted in total! The standard of the candidates was incredibly high and we felt privileged to speak to so many talented young people and have interesting conversations about their academic and life goals.
After much deliberation between Kings Regional Manager, Cristina, and the Kings academic team, the final scholarship winners were revealed on 15th March.
- Mahike Lubisse from Mozambique, who aims to study Psychology at university (pictured bottom left)
- Wallen Ribeiro from Mozambique, who aims to study Computer Science at University (pictured top left)
- Célia Regina Major from Angola, who aims to study Law at university (main picture)
- Izanu Vicente from Angola, who wants to study Law at university
- Kedma Martins from Angola, who wants to study Physiotherapy at university
Thank you to all the fantastic students who took part in the African Olympiad competition, and congratulations to our 2021 scholarship winners! We look forward to welcoming you into our school communities very soon.