Kings award 100% A-level scholarship to worthy winner in Romania
On 18th January 2020, Kings Regional Manager for Europe, Thomas Santini-Mayer, and Director of Studies at Kings London, Danny Carroll, travelled to Romania to announce the winners of two special scholarships. One 100% scholarship and one 50% scholarship were awarded.
The scholarship scheme was offered for the first time in Romania this year and has been a great success due to the support of our partner agency, IntegralEDU. In total, 27 students attended the event and they were all very motivated with strong academic profiles. The event started with an opening presentation on the UK school system and students progression to universities. Following this, the students had been given a math and English test. On the second day of the event, all 27 students were interviewed and they each gave a 10 minute presentation.
Students were able to choose from the topics below and were scored on organisation structure, range and accuracy of vocabulary and grammar, presentation skills, research and knowledge of the topic.
1. Work experience should be mandatory for all high-school students. Would you consider this a benefit?
2. Developing counties should be exempt from global environmental policies to help their economic growth.
3. With global threats of terrorism, governments should be allowed to monitor private emails and conversations in messaging services.
4. The growing influence of services such as YouTube on mass media is destroying the appreciation of traditional music and culture in countries around the world.
5. Struggling industries employing large numbers of people should be saved by governments even if they are no longer profitable.
6. Should high-school students be allowed an input into what they learn at school?
7. Should celebrities have to live in a way to set a good example to their fans or should be able live their lives as they want?
8. Is becoming a vegan an answer to helping the environment?
9. Slum / ghetto tourism is essentially visiting a zoo of poor people and does not show respect to fellow citizens.
10. Trade barriers help protect companies and workers in each country and have many other benefits.
After the Kings and IntegralEDU team members had deliberated, the 100% A-level scholarship was awarded to Ingrid, who said:
"Thank you for this opportunity! Getting to study in the UK has always been my dream and being a student at Kings will surely be an achievement as well as an honour. I can’t wait for this new start! I am looking forward to meeting everyone at Kings soon!"
Congratulations also to George Eduard Ristoscu, who won the Kings’ 50% A-level scholarship.