A-level Results Day: Everything you need to know
With A-level Results Day on Thursday, students up and down the country are nervously anticipating their results. It can be an anxious time but there are lots of ways to ease the stress and take it all in your stride.
Here we give you some tips about what to expect and how to cope.
What happens once you have your results
When you get your A-level results, there are three possibilities:
- You’ve achieved the grades you need for your firm choice university. This means they will accept you and change your offer to Unconditional. Time to celebrate!
- You’ve achieved the grades you need for your insurance choice university but not your firm choice. You’ll be accepted by your insurance university. Congratulations — you’re off to uni!
- You don’t achieve the grades you need for any of your university choices. Don’t worry, there’s no need to panic. You’ll now go into Clearing.
So what’s Clearing?
Clearing is the process by which any unfilled university places are published so you can find another university and degree course. Remember though that you might need to be flexible in your choice of course or university.
Your school will help you weigh up your options so you make the best decision for you. They will do everything they can to make sure you get that university place. So it’s important that you contact them as soon as possible after you get your results.
What if I think I’ve got the wrong grades?
If you think you performed better than the grade you were given, it may be possible, under specific circumstances, for your school to appeal.
Read the Government guidelines on appeals
Bear in mind that your grade could go down as well as up so think carefully before you request this. That’s why it’s important to discuss this first with your school and subject teachers.
If you haven’t achieved the grades you need and can’t get a university place through Clearing all is not lost.
There are still plenty of other options.
You could retake your subjects or combine them with new ones, perhaps looking at different course options or colleges which are better suited to your skills, interests and ambitions. Whatever happens, remember this is not the end, just the next step on your journey.
Top 7 tips for sailing through Results Day
- Get a good night’s sleep. Lying awake the night before won’t change your results!
- Keep the day free and don’t make plans until you know your results.
- Make sure your phone and laptop are fully charged. You might need them.
- If you need to contact your school, find a quiet place away from distractions.
- Remember to have your UCAS ID number and login details with you on the day.
- Seek advice if needed and consider all your options carefully.
- Don’t panic! Whatever happens there are always paths open to you.