Front-line service for
students at Kings Oxford
Deadline for applications
Interviews will commence on
- To apply for this position send you CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Student Services Officer (SSO) works in the busy environments of the ‘front of house’ at both St Josephs and St Michaels in Kings Oxford, which provide the hub of student services provision and a welcome for all visitors and callers. The services provided to students include: providing information on all aspects of student life at Kings Oxford, from courses and accommodation options, social programme of activities & tourism, to visa information and dealing with complaints.
An important focus of this position is to organise arrival and departure transfers for all Kings Oxford students and to ensure that the emergency-on-call-pack is kept up to date and is ready for use and coordinating the emergency-on-call rota.
SSO are expected to have up to date, detailed knowledge of all Kings UK courses, UKVI guidelines, sponsor duties and visa requirements. They are to be fully trained to use CLASS to produce student documentation and to run reports for their own tasks. They are also responsible for booking arrival and departure transfers and have emergency phone duties. Appropriate training will be arranged.
SSO manage the day to day running of reception such as; sorting post, keeping stationery, ink and toner stocks, answering the phone and signing in and out all visitors to the school. Also ensuring all under 16s sign in and out and being the attendance checker for all student absence. They assist with provision of hospitality to visitors including agents, prospective new students and guests including arranging a transfer etc.
In order to be effective in this role the SSO will need to be versatile communicator, with excellent written and spoken English. She/he will need to be able to foster and maintain good working relationships with colleagues in the EFL & Academic Departments, Welfare, Admissions and Accommodation, Central Marketing Unit, Regional Managers and Directors.
The job requires common sense, the ability to multi task whilst maintaining accuracy, a keen eye for detail, excellent organisational skills and the desire to provide excellent customer service.
A ready smile and a sense of humour is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To deal with enquiries via telephone, email and ‘walk ins’ about the school, our courses and services provided, log enquiries in CLASS and to then convert those enquiries into bookings
- To welcome visitors, assist in the arrangements for their visit, for example booking hotels and transport and organising itineraries
- To answer incoming calls effectively, screen as appropriate and handle professionally
- Conduct attendance checking by making contact with all students who are late or absent and log and monitor attendance, ensuring that the school’s safeguarding, child protection and attendance policies are adhered to in all cases
- Be responsible for the completion of homestay and private ‘student holiday forms’, complete an excel spreadsheet ensuring the procedure is fully managed meeting all aspects of compliance
- To ensure the day to day running of reception is efficient and timely to include: photocopier maintenance, distribution, franking and collection of post, stationery orders are within budget, photocopiers are filled with paper and shredding machine is checked and emptied
- To ensure that new student information and contact details are uploaded and details held on CLASS and ISAMs are full and accurate
- To provide assistance to students with police registration, opening a bank account, collection of Biometric Residence Permits
- To co-ordinate the arrival and departure transfers for all Kings Oxford students and to inform hosts and residences of arrival times/delays
- To prepare the emergency pack for staff who have the emergency phone for the weekdays/weekends
- To prepare and co-ordinate the emergency rota
- To ensure parental or guardian consent forms are in place for activities, weekend excursions and holiday plans as required for homestay and private students
- To keep abreast of UKVI tier 4 and student visitor visa changes in order to be able to provide accurate information to students on visas and Biometric Residence Permits
- You will be required to assist with cover on the emergency on call weekday and weekend rota
- Kings Oxford offers a 24-hour emergency facility to our students and cover is required during all periods of closure including bank holidays, Easter and the Christmas period. You will be required to be on the emergency on call weekday and weekend rota. The number of emergency on call periods you must contribute to will depend on the number of staff on this rota. Responsibilities are defined within the emergency on call job description as well as rates of pay, full training will be provided during your probationary period.
- Any other duty as required by the line manager commensurate with the post
Energy and empathy are essential, along with a good work ethic and proven reliability. You will be personable and approachable, with an authoritative yet friendly manner. The ability to use your initiative, multi-task and prioritise, along with a good attitude towards team work is important.
You will need to think on your feet to seek solutions. You will have a sensitive and diplomatic approach and set an example for staff to deliver a standard of service and presentation which meets the needs and expectations of Kings students.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of working with international students and/or young adults in a supervisory role
- Efficient organisational and administration skills with excellent attention to detail
- Strong IT skills including competence with Microsoft Office, Excel and PowerPoint
- Will be required to use Kings Class, iSAMS & ClassMate databases (training will be provided)
- English native-speaker competence/Level of English equivalent to CEF level C2
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written, with sound commercial sense
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly and cope in challenging situations
- GCSE Maths & English Grade C or above
- Minimum of 2 years’ office administrative experience or similar
- Experience working within an English language school
- Additional language(s)
How to apply
To apply for this position or to request further information, please contact: email@example.com
Applications should be made by: As soon as possible
Interviews will commence on: As soon as possible
Successful appointment will be dependent upon:
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references (including confirmation of no child safeguarding concerns)
Kings is an Equal Opportunities employer and we adhere to the principles of equal opportunity in all aspects of our recruitment process.
It is Kings Education's policy not to communicate further with applicants other than those who are shortlisted for a position.