Teach in China
- Taizhou, Jiangsu Province, China
- To apply for this position or to request further information, please email a CV and cover letter to: Shen.LanHui@kingseducation.com
Kings in China
Kings is now developing a network of teaching centres in China under the Kings brand, in association with Astral UK, Kings' Malaysian-based joint venture company. This has been established by Kings as a platform to support educational development projects in China. The company provides schools in China with the opportunity to establish international senior high school level provision with progression opportunities on to pathways to leading universities in the US, UK or Malaysia.
Working closely with the Centre Manager and colleagues, the teachers will be responsible for the delivery of the curriculum at their centre. They will work collaboratively, in line with the Kings ethos and values at all times, to contribute to a positive working and learning environment for all colleagues and students.
As teachers in an international environment, a pro-active and flexible approach is required. The international curriculum will be delivered in a dedicated, specialist centre, embedded within a Chinese school.
Duties and responsibilities
- Liaising with the host school’s management and colleagues at Kings/Astral to support the delivery of the Academic English Programme
- Providing support for teaching colleagues delivering the Academic English Programme
- Preparing and teaching lessons in their specialist subject(s) in line with the curriculum and schemes of work to ensure students learn as effectively as possible
- Working to create a learning culture in their classroom that will encourage and help their students to study with curiosity, pleasure and the experience of success
- Paying attention to the whole-person development of your students, their health, morale, demeanour and general welfare, particularly as they learn to prepare for further studies in a new language and new culture
- Setting and marking of appropriate homework and projects; providing prompt, appropriate, consistent and constructive marking and guidance for improvement
- Maintaining student records; attendance, punctuality, achievements, grades, progress reports as required
- Being aware of responsibilities with regard to the safety of students and the provision of a safe and nurturing environment for them in the Centre
- Ensuring adherence to local compliance requirements, centre policies and procedures and those of our partners and external awarding bodies
- Maintaining and developing positive working relationships between Kings, our host school partners and other stakeholders
- Advising on opportunities with Kings partners for overseas short-courses, summer schools and progression opportunities to its centres in the US, UK and Malaysia and on to leading universities
This position will be based in the new international centre of a Chinese Senior High School in Taizhou, Jiangsu. The school is based in the city centre, with easy access to local amenities. The initial 1 year contract will be based on 40 hours per week, to include 14 hours of teaching time, with plenty of hours left over to spend planning lessons and developing the syllabus. The contract includes 44 days paid holiday annually, with the option to take on additional hours over school holidays in exchange for overtime. On-campus accommodation will be provided free of charge. Cities such as Nanjing and Shanghai are easily accessible from Taizhou.
The successful candidates are likely to be those who offers a combination of experience and personal qualities which are aligned with our vision and objectives and can translate to effective teaching and learning in an international senior high school operation in China.
The strongest candidates are likely to offer some or all of the following:
- A relevant teaching qualification and experience; ELT and/or academic subjects
- Teaching experience in the international education sector; experience of teaching in China or of teaching Chinese students would be preferable but not essential
- Experience of working with institutional partners, preferably across differing linguistic and cultural backgrounds
- Familiarity with UK and US education systems; understanding of preparation for university entrance would be most relevant
- Fluent in English; Mandarin Chinese could be an advantage but not essential
To comply with Chinese Z Visa regulations, the following are essential requirements:
- Native of an English-speaking country (UK, Ireland, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa)
- Education to at least Bachelor's Degree level (in any field)
- TESOL/TEFL teaching certificate minimum 120 hours (or equivalent), OR at least 2 years of teaching experience
- Medically fit and clean criminal record (to pass Chinese medical and police clearance checks)
- Under 60 years old
In terms of personal qualities, the selectors will be looking for evidence of a passion for education, good judgement, emotional and cultural empathy and intelligence, integrity, resilience, energy, authority and a good sense of humour.
How to apply
To apply for this position or to request further information, please email a CV and cover letter to: Shen.LanHui@kingseducation.com
Applications should be made by: As soon as possible
Interviews will be held via Skype or in person, as soon as possible.