School Chef Manager at Kings Oxford
- Full-Time, 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday between 6am to 4pm. During the peak summer period, mid-June to mid-August, you will be required to work additional hours and shift work, including weekends and evenings. Small amounts of weekend work during the academic year are also required.
Deadline for applications
- £21,000 - £23,500 pro rata / per annum, dependent on experience
- To apply for this position please send your CV to email@example.com
- You are entitled to 33 days paid holiday per year including public and bank holidays. All holiday entitlement must be taken during the Academic term breaks and is not permitted during the peak summer period between mid-June and mid- August.
The Chef Manager is accountable for all the food and drink provision including purchasing, menu creation, service and compliance in our small international school. You will be responsible for the preparation and serving of the food offered, managing a small supporting canteen team. This role is central to the school community and a warm, friendly, and helpful attitude, combined with efficiency and high standards of hygiene are always expected. We seek to develop a rotation of healthy menu options to support our students in their learning. The cafeteria supplies sandwiches alongside a hot food provision for breakfast and lunch.
Kings Oxford is registered as a boarding school with the Department for Education. This compliance is in line with the National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools (NMS) and the Ofsted Common Assessment Framework and Standards for Inspection of Boarding and Residential Schools.
We are looking for a motivated ‘hands on’ individual to lead, manage, prepare and cook the food offered within our Canteen provision at Kings Oxford, supported by a small team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Statutory Duties include:
- To comply with the statutory Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations.
- To comply with the statutory, Fire, Health and Safety regulations.
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness in your department and comply with the Environmental Health Regulations at all times.
- Use Chemicals in accordance with COSHH training. Only used COSHH assessed products which are on the Kings Approved Product List. All Chemicals not listed require approval from the Bursar before use.
General Duties include:
- Devise a financially sustainable rolling menu.
- Be responsible for all food preparation for meals offered and for school functions as and when required.
- Serve, and take payments for all food leaving the kitchen.
- Deal with all cafeteria issues and managing the day/week tasks including washing up and general cleaning porter duties.
- Closely monitor stock, ensuring the correct rotation of stock and complete monthly stock takes.
- Monitor, and minimise wastage.
- Accurately handle cash & till work
- Assist with reconciling the daily cash takings and submit to the Finance department alongside the required documentation.
Managerial Duties include:
- Manage and maintain the cafeteria budget and review the financial figures provided. On submission of financial figures feedback to the Bursar on any discrepancies highlighted and make recommendations of any changes needed.
- Produce and maintain the food menus with the margins agreed and ensure good rotation.
- Work with the Student Council on food menus and feedback given to create new ways of improving all existing food provisions.
- Must be consistent with price charges and food portions.
- Deal with all cafeteria managerial duties to ensure the smooth running of the cafeteria provision during annual leave.
- Meet regularly with the Finance Manager summarising the current and planned future activity and any proposals for change.
- Read emails daily and respond accordingly.
- To attend any training courses as required, including those that may be carried outside of normal working hours.
- Ensure high levels of personal hygiene are kept to at all times.
- To carry out any reasonable request by a member of the management team.
- Actively contribute to the School Development Plan.
- Contribute to the self-evaluation of the school based on performance of the department.
- Be aware of any Health and Safety issues in the department and raise them with the Health and Safety Officer
- The school reserves the right to introduce changes in line with technological developments which may impact upon your job.
Be a key holder fire marshal and first aider
and must be comfortable with the responsibility this entails.
Kings Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate (essential)
- Experience in varied catering establishments and working in a commercial catering environment to produce freshly made food to high standards (essential)
- Ability to manage own time, prioritise and multi-task as required effectively.
- Strong in maintaining an efficient and effective budget. Use of excel spreadsheet required.
- Knowledge of stock control and ordering.
- Knowledge of up to date health & safety regulations.
- Creative with menu design.
- Confident in dealing with international students, staff and agents.
- Excellent command of English.
- Possess a friendly, warm and approachable character.
- Build personable and professional relationships with staff and students.
- DBS Criminal Record Check
- Experience working within a school
- Safeguarding in education training
How to apply
To apply for this position please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be made by: As soon as possible
Interviews will commence: Upon receipt and consideration of application, therefore it is in your interest to apply as soon as possible.
Successful appointment will be dependent upon:
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references (including confirmation of no child safeguarding concerns)
- Candidates who have lived and worked abroad in the last five years will be required to seek good conduct references, or the equivalent, from the countries in which they worked, as a pre-requisite of employment
Kings is an Equal Opportunities employer and we adhere to the principles of equal opportunity in all aspects of our recruitment process.
It is Kings Education's policy not to communicate further with applicants other than those who are shortlisted for a position.