Maintenance Operative, Oxford, UK
- Site & Facilities Manager
- To apply for this position, or to request further information, please contact: email@example.com
Our role, at Kings, is to equip every student under our care with the qualifications, skills and experience which are the springboard to a lifetime of success and fulfilment. An essential part of this role is maintaining a safe, healthy and pleasant work and study environment for our staff and students.
We are seeking an experienced Maintenance Operative/Caretaker/Handyman to join the Facilities Team at our school in Oxford. Reporting to the Site & Facilities Manager you will be responsible for undertaking both responsive and planned maintenance activities. You will also contribute to maintaining a safe and healthy environment by routinely checking various aspects of our health and safety provision to ensure consistent high standards.
The Maintenance Operative will:
- Proactively identify, log and report health, safety and maintenance issues
- Prioritise and complete maintenance and facilities tasks to a high standard
- Complete, and record results of, periodic testing, monitoring and inspections
- Maintain secure and safe environment for staff, students and visitors
Responsibilities and dutiesMaintenance
- Complete a range of remedial works and maintenance tasks to a high standard
- Test portable electrical appliances annually (training provided)
- Support the Site & Facilities Manager in meeting regulatory obligations
- Key holder - Open/lock up buildings as required and be alert to security issues
- Arrange furniture in rooms for classes, presentations and meetings
- Maintain good workplace housekeeping practices
- Share responsibility to occasionally respond to out of hours emergencies
General Health & Safety
- Qualified First Aider (Training provided)
- Conduct monthly water safety checks to control legionella
- Trained Fire Warden (training provided)
- Assist the Site & Facilities Manager in maintaining a safe and healthy working and learning environment
37.5 hours per week, Monday-Friday, with occasional weekend work scheduled by mutual agreement. All facilities staff share responsibility for responding to out-of-hours emergencies, e.g. fire/intruder alarm activation.
Kings Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- Completing general repairs and maintenance tasks
- Use of Microsoft office applications: Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams
- Knowledge of fire safety and general health & safety practices
- Communicating with colleagues at all levels
- Full UK driving licence
- Able to carry out duties involving manual handling
- Team player able to work with and around students, staff and contractors
- Proactive, self-motivated and able to work independently
- Willing to work occasional evening/weekend overtime/lieu time as required
- Excellent time management skills
- An eye for detail and desire to complete work to a high standard
- Practical problem solving skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Educated to A-level or equivalent vocational qualification
- Experience or qualification relating to plumbing, carpentry, electrical works
- Experience of working in an educational environment
- Knowledge of regulations relating to health & safety, e.g. HSWA 1974
How to apply
To apply for this position, or to request further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be made: by Wednesday 7th July 2021
Interviews will commence on: Week commencing 12th July 2021
Successful appointment will be dependent upon:
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references (including confirmation of no child safeguarding concerns)
- Candidates who have lived and worked abroad in the last five years will be required to seek good conduct references, or the equivalent, from the countries in which they worked, as a pre-requisite of employment
Kings is an Equal Opportunities employer and we adhere to the principles of equal opportunity in all aspects of our recruitment process.
It is Kings Education's policy not to communicate further with applicants other than those who are shortlisted for a position.