Maintenance Assistant, London, UK
- To apply for this position, or to request further information, please contact Michaela Wadie: Michaela.Wadie@kingseducation.com
The Maintenance Assistant role provides efficient and effective management of the maintenance and cleaning for the Kings London buildings at numbers 2, 25 and 27 and Kings London’s student houses and Kings Apartments.
Responsibilities and duties
The Assistant is expected to observe safe working practices in carrying out the required duties and ensure that instructions specified by technical consultants, contractors and manufacturers are adhered to at all times.
- General maintenance of all Kings premises
- Coordinating with Accommodation team regularly to strategise and plan for maintenance and development works
- Liaising with external contractors where necessary
- Ensuring that bins are regularly emptied and refuse disposed of (including recycling)
- Carry out maintenance work as prioritised from the Maintenance Task list, liaising with other department managers, contractors and suppliers.
- Monitor and replenish stock levels of consumables such as fuel, grit, toiletries, light bulbs.
- Inspect buildings regularly.
- Maintain appropriate records including intruder alarm logbook, repair orders, heating system records book and carry out meter readings for the college.
- Report emergencies in the case of faults with gas, electric and water supply to line manager, or where not immediately available technical services or regular contractors.
- You will be the second Key holder for emergencies in all premises.
- Weekly communal areas checks and monthly student room checks
- Regular checks of student houses to see that everything is in working order, clean, tidy and well-maintained by residents, health and safety compliant and in a good general state of repair
- Occasional checking / inducting students in and out of accommodation (Extra payment for call out on weekends)
- Reporting to the Accommodation team regularly about emerging issues and problematic residents
- Safeguard the welfare of students by reporting any student welfare concerns or behavioural issues to Welfare Officer and Accommodation Manager
- Cover for other team member as needed
- Occasionally open the three buildings so the college is ready for staff and students before 8am.
- Grounds keeping duties, including lawn mowing and rubbish-clearing.
- Daily setup of classroom furniture.
- Meet regularly with the Estates Manager to update on progress with all above-mentioned tasks, including reporting any student/staff issues.
During the busy summer months (mid-June to end of August), workload increases as the college day is longer and the college is fully or partially open at weekends. This can involve a change in working hours.
Kings Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- suitable trade skills and experience of a range of maintenance tasks
- availability to be ‘on-call’ to attend emergency maintenance issues
- methodical and proactive nature and ability to effectively deal with unexpected issues as they arise
- ability to work well independently or with others, taking initiative where necessary
- a good level of spoken and written English
- a professional manner when dealing with both staff and students
- reliability, punctuality and quick response to requests
Desirable attributes include experience of:
- working with international students or young people
- working in a school or residential accommodation setting
- working to health and safety regulations
- HMO licensing, gas safety certification, fire safety checking
- a full, clean driving license and access to a vehicle that can be used for work purposes (e.g. small collections/deliveries, maintenance related, refuse disposal)
How to apply
To apply for this position, or to request further information, please contact: email@example.com.
Applications should be made: As soon as possible
Interviews will commence on: As soon as possible
Successful appointment will be dependent upon:
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references (including confirmation of no child safeguarding concerns)
- Candidates who have lived and worked abroad in the last five years will be required to seek good conduct references, or the equivalent, from the countries in which they worked, as a pre-requisite of employment
Kings is an Equal Opportunities employer and we adhere to the principles of equal opportunity in all aspects of our recruitment process.
It is Kings Education's policy not to communicate further with applicants other than those who are shortlisted for a position.