A pivotal role in supervising
Kings Oxford's student residences
- Bursar / College Services Manager
- 37.5 hours per week between the hours of 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday plus an additional three core weekends, during high summer season and high academic arrival intakes annually.
- When urgent matters arise outside standard working hours, there is an expectation that a member of the accommodation team are available to contact, respond and support the situation, this includes a change in the timing of your working hours to meet the 24/7 provision which must be met on cover.
- Live-in applications will be equally considered and free accommodation provided upon offset salary adjustment.
Deadline for applications
- To apply for this position please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Head of Boarding role (HB) is an incredibly integral position at Kings Oxford.
The HB is responsible for every aspect of our students’ residential life. They will manage a team residential staff and work closely with senior management. The remit for this role includes, but is not limited to, ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all Kings Oxford students during their time in the various residences (including Homestay and Private accommodation); leading on the logistical side of our residential operations, with the aim of providing an outstanding environment for our students to live in.
They will deal with all administration regarding accommodation; ensuring compliance with Boarding National Minimum Standards (NMS) and the Ofsted Common Assessment Framework and Standards for Inspection of Boarding and Residential Schools; acting as Deputy Safeguarding Lead; developing our homestay network and co-ordinating our summer school accommodation requirements.
The HB will work closely with all core services: Welfare, Academic and EFL, in addition, close working liaison will be developed with external Kings Regional Managers and their agents around the world.
The HB will be responsible for creating a safe, welcoming environment in which our students can flourish, improve their English, make progress in their studies and develop their independence and understanding of living in modern Britain.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Team Leadership and Management of the accommodation team ensuring core accommodation responsibilities are covered and 24/7 onsite staffing provision maintained.
- Management and monitoring of all aspects of statutory and regulatory compliance for the accommodation department.
- Reviewing compliance including Kings Policies and interpreting actual practice and identifying any potential gaps and improvements which need to be made on a quarterly basis. Making all updates on the termly review and part of the whole School Development Plan, and maintain an accommodation action plan for tracking this.
- Ensure the smooth running of the Accommodation Department, being part of the onsite team and supporting the day to day running of the Wavy Gate Residence
- Day to day duties include organising the half-board provision for students, managing and leading on student quarantine and self-isolation, dealing with incoming student queries and general other everyday duties
- To play a major role in the recruitment of staff
- To take part in the school’s process of Performance Management (PM)/Appraisal, ensuring all aspects of your teams PM are effectively carried out. Leading on the recruitment of all available accommodation posts and managing induction training.
- Deal with staff matters in relation to disciplinary matters as required.
- Manage, complete and maintain all required training for all accommodation team members and host families.
- Maintain good working relationships with our partners in residential provision
- Manage the accommodation budget staying within the limitations set up
- Liaise with the Central Marketing Unit (CMU) on maximising potential exposure, attracting the intended market for each Residence and Conduct agent visits to Kings Oxford Residences
- Contribute to a cross school communication network as a senior leader.
- Ensure that the health (physical and mental) and wellbeing needs of our students are being fully met, if not exceeded.
- Be a Deputy Safeguarding Lead, working with other members of the safeguarding team and Designated Safeguarding Lead to maintain and offer an enhanced safeguarding and welfare provision within accommodation.
- Meet compliance with statutory requirements with regard to Safeguarding and Child Protection.
- Support the Safeguarding and Welfare Leads to ensure the safeguarding and wellbeing of students is met through constant communication, regular meetings and use of the MyConcern supporting software.
- Deal with serious student welfare incidents ensuring all Kings Policies statutory requirements with regard to Child Protection and general safeguarding are met.
- Create and manage an accommodation environment where students feel safe and all wellbeing needs met and students can develop in their independence and confidence.
- Meet compliance with statutory requirements with regard to Child Protection, Health and Safety and NMS.
- Completion of new and renewal of host family DBS checks, having a system of managing when these checks need to take place ensuring there are no compromises to Safeguarding and Child Protection.
- Assist with student accommodation bookings host family and residential, ensuring the highest level of service is provided to our agents and students including response times.
- Share the responsibility of host stay visits, completing findings and ensuring all necessary paperwork is uploaded.
- Oversee and handle complex student accommodation issues and complaints effectively keeping key staff and agents informed of decisions and outcomes.
- Maintain good relationship with host families and deal with hosts who are offering a substandard service.
Ensure we have sufficient and good set of host families to cater for student needs, advertising and recruiting for new host families as needed.
- For summer management being the lead in the summer preparation meetings, recruiting for short term summer posts and preparing any existing residences or short-term summer residences for the summer. Management of the additional summer residences
N.B. You may be required to cover duties not listed within this job description
Kings Oxford offers a 24-hour emergency facility to our students and cover is required during all periods of closure including bank holidays, Easter and the Christmas period. You will be required to be on the emergency on call weekday and weekend rota. The number of emergency on call periods you must contribute to will depend on the number of staff on this rota. Responsibilities are defined within the emergency on call job description as well as rates of pay, full training will be provided.
Kings Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We will be delighted to consider applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, though experience in the higher independent school sector and/or accommodation management experience. Experience of working with international students and/or young adults in a supervisory role. You need to be empathetic, highly organized, able to think on your feet and have a proven track record of delivering success and service quality.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate
- GCSE Maths & English Grade C or above
- English native-speaker competence/Level of English equivalent to CEF level C2
- Must have previous experience in working with accommodation or boarding school accommodation.
- Essential to have a positive ‘can do’ attitude, solution-oriented approach and strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience in people management and managing a team, and success in managing varied personality types, maximising on staff individual strengths to create an effective working team;
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to pre-empt complications and to adapt plans accordingly where necessary.
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written, with the aptitude for negotiation.
- Intermediate level IT skills (testing to be included in the recruitment process)
- To be able to deescalate and resolve conflict at work.
- To be able to effectively manage and maintain all required regulatory and statutory documentation.
- Experience of controlling expenditure and working within a budget.
- Willingness to travel between sites as required
- You will be personable and approachable, with an authoritative yet friendly manner.
- A natural leader with a sense of humour.
Desirable but not essential:
- Diploma/degree in an associated area
- Teaching qualification
- First Aid training
- Additional language(s)
- Full clean driving licence preferrable
- Safeguarding experience and/or previous training
How to apply
To apply for this position please send your CV to email@example.com
Applications should be made by: Friday 21st April
Interviews will commence: Upon receipt and consideration of application, therefore it is in your interest to apply as soon as possible.
Successful appointment will be dependent upon:
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references (including confirmation of no child safeguarding concerns)
Kings is an Equal Opportunities employer and we adhere to the principles of equal opportunity in all aspects of our recruitment process.
It is Kings Education's policy not to communicate further with applicants other than those who are shortlisted for a position.