Managing learning and teaching
Deadline for applications
Interviews will commence on
- To apply for this position send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Director of Studies, English Language Programmes (DOS) has overall responsibility for managing the English Language Department and Programmes in addition to taking a significant role in the day to day running of the school with a focus on students, English Language administration and teacher support. There is potential for the right applicant to become a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, management, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of English Language programs across centres. This includes EFL, EAP, ESP and other English Language related courses.
- Performance management of teachers; program design and reporting; monitoring and evaluation of course delivery; supervising course administration.
- Communicating and leading appropriately high standards of teaching and professional conduct for teachers and appropriately high standards of work and attendance for students;
- Recruitment of teachers;
- Deploying staff and other resources cost effectively;
- Ensuring that students’ classes and courses are suitable and appropriate for them, monitoring class levels and teaching programmes as required.
- Monitoring students' learning, progress and general welfare; counselling them individually when necessary.
- Draw up class timetables, opening and closing classes as required
- Plan ahead for teacher recruitment and timetabling as numbers fluctuate
- Assess prospective and newly arrived students, testing and interviewing as appropriate
- Allocate students to appropriate classes using college data bases
- Ensure that accurate records are maintained of students’ classes, courses, examinations, attendance and punctuality
- Monitor class levels and move students as required
- Contact agents, students’ parents to keep them informed of attendance and academic issues
- Monitor periodic reports for students, their parents and sponsors
- Counsel students on academic and learning issues
- Teach classes as required, including cover lessons
- Notify Bursar of payments to be made to teachers
- Lead staff meetings as required
- Counsel and support teachers; encourage and facilitate their self-development
- Organise regular teacher training and development sessions
- Monitor teaching resources (equipment, consumables and teaching materials)
- Buy and deploy new materials within budget limits
- Contribute to the School Development Plan.
- Support with the management of the IELTS test centre
- Work with the Senior Leadership Team towards outstanding inspections for both OFSTED and British Council.
It is understood that this list is not exhaustive and that the Director of Studies’ duties are likely to change and develop with experience and with the changing needs of the college.
Kings Colleges is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- an excellent up-to-date knowledge of content, syllabus and assessment of the variety of courses delivered in the EFL and EAP department;
- significant teaching experience;
- the ability to promote a student-centred approach to learning at all times;
- a proven track record in leadership and management;
- the will to recognise and demonstrate the values of the school;
- strong skills in office IT systems, especially Word, Excel, Outlook and Teams;
- experience of using databases and a willingness to embrace the opportunity to develop expertise in new applications as required.
- excellent organisational skills, including the ability to balance demands from different areas, prioritise work and manage time effectively.
- ability to work independently and under pressure
- an open-minded and proactive attitude with the ability to take initiative and to adapt self and team to planned and unplanned changing circumstances.
- Be committed to the effective teaching of language learners and have highly effective communication skills for dealing with international students;
- Behave in a professional way and present a professional image at all times;
- Manage communications and administrative tasks effectively and efficiently;
- Be an excellent contributor and team worker
- Educated to degree level
- A DELTA or Trinity Dip. TESOL qualification
How to apply
To apply for this position or to request further information, please contact:
Applications should be made by: 29th July 2022
Interviews will commence on: 2nd and 4th August 2022
Successful appointment will be dependent upon:
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references (including confirmation of no child safeguarding concerns)
Kings is an Equal Opportunities employer and we adhere to the principles of equal opportunity in all aspects of our recruitment process.
It is Kings Education's policy not to communicate further with applicants other than those who are shortlisted for a position.