Managing learning and teaching across the college
- September 2022 or January 2023
Deadline for applications
Interviews will commence on
- As soon as suitable candidates are selected
- To apply for this position send your CV to email@example.com
The role of Director of Studies-Academic (DOS) is an exciting dynamic role, ideally suited to someone with up to date knowledge of current pedagogy and a desire to create and implement highly impactful teaching and learning systems here at Kings Oxford.
This is a vital role in the future of Kings Oxford, instrumental in creating and maintaining the highest academic standards throughout our academic courses. The role is responsible for guiding and monitoring staff, resources and student progress, with the aim to enable our students to achieve exceptional outcomes.
This role reports to the Principal and is a member of the Senior leadership Team. They will be responsible for managing the Academic Teaching staff and Senior Academic Administrator, also working closely with other key team members including the Director of Students, Designated Safeguarding Lead and other support staff.
Kings Oxford is registered as a boarding school with the Department for Education and all compliance is in line with the National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools and the Ofsted Common Assessment Framework and Standards for Inspection of Boarding and Residential Schools.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To create an atmosphere of academic ambition among staff and students alike.
- To facilitate learning which enable students to achieve high standards, supporting the responsibility of wellbeing, education and discipline of all our students.
- To develop, deliver and maintain an exciting curriculum for all learners, including those with SEND.
- To facilitate and promote learning experiences which provide learners with the opportunity to achieve their potential and contribute to raising standards.
- Create, implement and manage a simple and effective monitoring system for student academic student progress.
- To analyse all relevant data for review and reflection on student progress.
- To establish, and monitor, short, medium- and long-term plans for the development of high academic standards.
- To provide a role model for high standards of teaching and learning.
- To ensure high quality teaching throughout across all academic courses; using the appraisal system (and lesson observations) to manage this expectation and encouraging teacher professional development.
- To ensure that an exciting, successful CPD program is in place, appropriate for both the teaching community as a whole and for individuals.
- Create and manage the academic timetables, ensure the best level of efficiency is offered.
- Having overall responsibility for the day to day management of the academic department.
- Identify and recommend innovative resources for the effective delivery of academic subjects.
- Prepare and lead the Academic department for British Council and Ofsted inspections, ensuring compliance and aiming towards Outstanding.
- Working with the Director of Academic Operations on recruitments and staff cover needs.
- To lead on specific academic projects as requested by the Principal or Senior Central Leadership team.
- To lead on academic staff discipline and competency issues.
- A member of the Senior Leadership Team, contributing to the School Development Plan, working on whole school actions with the Principal and other Senior Leaders.
- Work with the marketing and registrars’ team to encourage uptake of places at Kings Oxford.
It is understood that this list is not exhaustive and that the Director of Studies’ duties are likely to change and develop with experience and with the changing needs of the college.
Kings Colleges is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- Have significant teaching experience
- Have experience of academic middle, or senior, management
- Be experienced in the management and administration of academic programmes such as GCSE or A Level
- Have strong IT skills, including data analysis
- Have excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Have a clear understanding of the commercial demands of working for a private independent school whose students are predominantly recruited from overseas
- Have an understanding of current pedagogy
- Have experience in delivering CPD to teaching staff
- Know what ‘outstanding’ looks like
- Creativity and imagination to inspire staff and students alike
- Passion for education and the idea that it opens opportunities for our students
- A student-centred approach in all they do
- Be calm working in demanding situations and retain a healthy sense of humour when operating in challenging timeframes
- Have excellent people skills and the ability to motivate those being line-managed
- Have academic ambition
- The desire to go the extra mile to ensure students achieve outstanding outcomes
- Essential – Batchelors degree and QTS
- Desirable – Higher degree, QTS, Professional/Edu Management qualifications
How to apply
To apply for this position or to request further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be made by: 22nd July 2022
Interviews will commence on: As soon as possible
Successful appointment will be dependent upon:
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references (including confirmation of no child safeguarding concerns)
Kings is an Equal Opportunities employer and we adhere to the principles of equal opportunity in all aspects of our recruitment process.
It is Kings Education's policy not to communicate further with applicants other than those who are shortlisted for a position.