Live in role at our Wavy Gate Residence/span>
Closing date for applications
- To apply for this position, or to request further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Deputy House Parent (DHP) assists the House Parent (HP) in supervising the main Kings Oxford residence, Wavy Gate. Focusing core responsibilities around the pastoral care and welfare of all students based at our main residence and contribute to the social programme to ensure students’ enjoyment and wellbeing. Ensuring the highest level of care and supervision is provided at all times and the safeguarding of student needs are always put first. Wavy Gate is located very close to Oxford City Centre and is home to both English language and academic students, over 16, on long term stays.
As we are registered as a boarding school with the Department for Education, the DHP role must work in line with National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools, Ofsted’s Common Assessment Framework and Standards for Inspection of Boarding and Residential Schools, helping to complete and maintain the necessary documentation to support this.
The DHP works closely with the House Parent and in the first instance, reports to the House Parent. The DHP also works closely with all members of the accommodation team, welfare and core Senior staff.
The DHP is expected to work evenings and weekends but does benefit from 3 full days off during the week. This role comes with a holiday entitlement of 33 days per year (inc. bank holidays) FTE and pro rata for part time.
There is the potential to combine this role with other part time roles within Kings Oxford, making this a full time position. Please let us know on application if this is of interest.
Responsibilities and duties
Safeguarding and Pastoral Care
- Work as part of a dedicated team to ensure the highest level of pastoral care to all residential students, ensuring all needs are met and issues are promptly recorded and resolved
Promoting the safeguarding, physical and emotional wellbeing of all residents dealing with any issues promptly and offering continued support, as and when required
- Being proactive in supervising students when on duty, having regular contact and interaction
- Attend regular meetings with students to convey important messages and to promote wellbeing initiatives and assist house parent with flat meetings and room inspections
- Assist in dealing with instances related to the confiscation of items from students.
- To assist in the HP in organising and leading suitable social activities within the residence
- Contribute to creating a homely residence, to help and encourage students to flourish and develop in their confidence and studies
- Sharing the responsibility with other Residence team members in the completion of student personal care plans, regularly meeting with students, supporting their needs based on the care plan created
- For those students under 18 years old, supervise in accordance with Kings Policies and all statutory requirements including curfew rules with regard to Child Protection and general safeguarding
- Maintaining and monitoring good order and discipline within the residence, with particular regard to bullying, anti-social behaviour and discipline policies, including taking a role in room searches as/when necessary. When required, enforcing discipline through the residence sanctions ladder and rewarding through the merit scheme
- Assist in safeguarding and welfare issues at our other over 18 residential sites as and when needed. Attending these sites if required.
Health and Safety
- Ensure that the Kings Oxford residences are compliant with all Fire, Health & Safety regulations. You will be trained as a Fire Marshal and will be responsible for the safe evacuation of all residents when on any of our residential sites while on duty
- Maintain the safety and security of the residence buildings by reviewing CCTV, making regular patrols, ensuring doors and windows are locked and visitors are signed in and out while on duty
- Complete regular checks to ensure the building is in a good state of repair, rooms are comfortable and students are satisfied with their living arrangements. For general repairs, report to A2 Dominion
- Dealing with any logistical issues that arise while on duty
- Be responsible for answering the residence phone and responding to enquiries effectively and efficiently
- Ensuring the residence diary is kept up to date with all activity and lists everything which needs a further action.
- Maintaining all necessary welfare documentation, updating the residence diary and storing essential student welfare information within the correct database fields
- Assist the house parent with the noticeboards and ensure they are up to date with all Residence information
- Working with the house parent with student inductions and departures, ensuring students are fully inducted as outlined in the student induction practice and all supporting documentation actioned and filed
- Complete, document and record regular flat meetings and room inspections
- Assist with compiling the Residence inventory and assist with the ordering of replacement items and preparing rooms and residential sites for new student arrivals.
- Attend regular team meetings and to take part in the school’s process of Performance Management/Appraisal
It is understood that this role is likely to evolve over time and that relationships, responsibilities and duties are likely to change to reflect changes in the college.
- To actively contribute to the School Development Plan
- To undertake any appropriate training to fulfil your post, primarily Level 3 (DSL) Safeguarding training.
- N.B. You may be required to cover duties not listed within this job description
Working hours and Accommodation
The Deputy House Parent will support the House Parent in having responsibility for the residence known as Wavy Gate. They will be assisted in this by the House Parent and daytime, during the week, by the Accommodation Supervisor and Accommodation Manager.
The Deputy House Parent will have three full days off during the week and work on a rota basis for the other 4 days.
The Deputy House Parent will have the use of a furnished, ensuite apartment with cooking facilities; this is available all year round.
Kings Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- Necessity to be flexible within the staff rota, a willingness to pitch in when required
- Be trustworthy, honest and discreet and with a friendly manner
- Be patient and able to gain students trust and sensitive to students’ needs
- Be able to respond quickly and calmly in an emergency
- Be able to manage difficult situations calmly and effectively
- Be security and safety conscious
- Be able to prioritise and multitask when necessary
- Have strong organisational and IT skills, leading to excellent communication
- Be physically fit and mobile
How to apply
To apply for this position, or to request further information, please contact: email@example.com.
Interviews will commence on: ASAP
Successful appointment will be dependent upon: ASAP
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references (including confirmation of no child safeguarding concerns)