A bridge to academic life
Kings Academic English Diploma Programmes are designed specifically for students looking for the highest quality Academic English language courses that lead to clear progression for further study with Kings and onward progression to leading universities.
A bridge to English language fluency and academic life.
These programmes develop core research, writing, and study skills that establish a base for academic success and improve your English language communication while acquiring practical and global leadership skills.
Each level can be taken as a standalone programme but also provide guaranteed progression to higher levels and/or other Kings University Pathways for those seeking further academic qualifications, including Kings Medical, Business and Engineering Pathways, Advanced Level Foundation programme or A-Levels, or direct acceptance to degrees Kings Premium Universities in the US.
If you do not have the equivalent of GCSE level education and qualifications the Academic English Diploma Programmes can also integrate with Kings High School completion qualifications.
|Academic English Diploma Programme Level
||IELTS Entry Level
||IELTS Target Exit Level
upon completion of programme level
|Indicative IELTS equivalents*
||Kings University Pathways in Dubai
||Kings Premium Universities in the US
||Kings Colleges in the UK
||GO: Prepared - Level 2
||Extended Advanced Level Foundation
||Business or Engineering Pathway
||GO: Prepared - Level 3
||Advanced Level Foundation
||6.0 to 6.5+
|| First year of US degree
* Other assessments including Kings internal assessments are accepted.
- September, January, April and June
- Average 25 hours per week, plus homework and private study
- 12 weeks average per level
- Time management, organisational, and copying skills for a full-time undergraduate course load
- Ability to recall and organise information from academic lectures and articles
- Experience writing clear, well-supported essays on a variety of lengths
- Reading strategies and note-taking skills for identifying main ideas and supporting details
- English language proficiency level appropriate for entry into a UK or US university
- Interpersonal skills necessary to build relationships with student peers and professors
- Balance course load and extracurricular activities such as sports, clubs, volunteering
- Experience cultural diversity
- Awareness of communication styles
- Expansion of cultural sensitivity
- Development of flexible and adaptable thinking
Why Academic English Diploma Programmes
- Build English language and academic study skills in an English environment that is set against a truly international and cosmopolitan experience where diversity flows in and out of the region.
- Programmes include English language acquisition, development, academic and study skills growth, and language test preparation
- Raise English to level required to progress into higher level Academic English Diploma Programmes
- Develop academic subject knowledge and skills for Kings University Pathways in Dubai, the UK and the US
- Earn certificate and Kings recognition of achievement for each completed level
- Receive waiver on IELTS and TOEFL language entry requirements for other Kings University Pathways in Dubai, the UK and the US
Assessment is formative throughout the course and grades are based on class assignments, homework, participation, midterm and final examinations. This provides a fairer and more balanced evaluation of student performance over a period of time.
Students will complete a series of informal and formal assessments to check for understanding and learning progress. These can be in the form of vocabulary quizzes, unit tests, essay writing, journals, grammar and composition checks, presentations, notetaking, homework, midterms, and finals. Students must receive a grade of 70% or higher in each class to progress to the next level.
The Academic English Diploma Programme Level 1 offers students a balanced development of their holistic communication skills with a reading and writing module and a separate listening, speaking and critical thinking module across a range of academic areas and topics including:
- International Business, Economics, Finance and Entrepreneurship
- Global Development, Relations and Sustainability
- Engineering and Industrial Development
- Medicine includes Biological Development, Health, Diet and Nutrition, and Ethics