Job location: Oxford
Reports to: Principal and Bursar
Type of contract: Full-time (see 'Working Hours' below)
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible
NB. Accommodation is not provided.
The Residence Manager holds a pivotal position at Kings Oxford, responsible for managing the day-to-day running of our all year-round student Residences and Summer School Residence, along with leading and coordinating the Residence Team.
Kings Oxford is registered as a boarding school with the Department for Education and the Residence Manager is required to act as Head of Boarding in partnership with the Principal/Senior staff, ensuring high standards of student welfare and safeguarding are developed and maintained. The latter is in line with the National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools and the Ofsted Common Assessment Framework and Standards for Inspection of Boarding and Residential Schools.
The Residence Manager will work closely with all core services; Accommodation, Welfare, Academic, Finance, HR and other Senior staff, within the school. In addition, close working liaison will be developed with external Kings Regional Managers and their agents around the world.
The Residence is staffed 24/7, 365 days per year and all members of the Residence Team are required to contribute to cover on bank holidays and during the Easter and Christmas period.
Full time, working 45 hours per week, Monday to Friday, plus an additional five core weekends during high summer season and high Academic arrival intakes, annually. Standard weekday hours are 8.00am to 6.00pm but can vary when required. Flexible working hours are offered on days the Residence is manned with another staff member; for most weeks this includes Mondays, Thursday and Fridays.
Annual holiday entitlement is 25 days plus bank holidays. During the school Christmas closure period, when not working at the Residence, up to a maximum of 5 days' holiday must be reserved for this period.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Creating a safe, welcoming and secure environment in which our students can flourish, improve their English, make progress in their studies and develop their independence and understanding of living in an international community
- Promoting and safeguarding the welfare and wellbeing of Kings' students living at the Residence
- Ensure that student welfare is a high priority in all Residences, liaising with the Welfare Officer and other departments as appropriate, providing support, supervision and training for Assistant Wardens and key Residence staff
- Attend advanced safeguarding training
- Effective team leadership and management, working together and sharing the core responsibilities between the Residence Team
- Manage the Residence Team in completing various administration tasks for the Accommodation and Welfare Department
- Being responsible for room bookings at Wyville Court and assisting during busy periods on other residence room allocations
- Supervise arrivals and departures for the Residences and information sent out to students when on duty
- Premises management, maintenance and compliance
- Compliance with statutory requirements with regard to child protection, health & safety and fire prevention and develop plans for improvement
- Liaison with the school with regard to student attendance, wellbeing, behaviour and overall progress at weekly meetings and as necessary
- Support cross-school and accommodation efforts to promote participation and academic achievement
- Manage and allocate residence expenses within budget provided
- Liaise with the Central Marketing Unit (CMU) on maximising potential exposure, attracting the intended market for each Residence and conduct agent visits to Kings Oxford Residences.
- Liaise with A2 Dominion and OIC at Wavy Gate to ensure collaboration leads to the smooth running of the premises and safety and welfare of Kings students
- Carrying the Residence emergency phone as per the rota and be available in emergencies to respond to issues that come through to it
- You will have a 'can do' attitude and respond quickly and effectively to all that is required
Note that in cases of emergency, whether on-duty or off, all Residence Staff must be prepared to attend to students in difficulty, summon first aid or emergency services, if required and accompany students to the hospital or the police station, if necessary.
We will be delighted to consider applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, though experience in the higher education and/or residence management sector is desirable. You need to be empathetic, highly organized, able to think on your feet and have a proven track record of delivering success and service quality.
Kings Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- GCSE Maths and English Grade C or above
- English native-speaker competence/Level of English equivalent to CEF level C2
- Experience of working with residential or boarding school accommodation
- Experience of supervising and training staff
- Minimum of 2 years office administrative experience
- Experience of working with international students and/or young adults in a supervisory role
- Strong people management skills, to be able to adapt to different personalities, creating an effective working team.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to pre-empt problems and always have plans B and C, readily available if needed
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written, with an aptitude for negotiation
- To be able to ‘think outside the box’ if necessary when considering solutions relating to safeguarding, compliance and the health and safety of students
- Advanced level IT skills (testing to be included in the recruitment process)
- To be able to minimise conflict; identify the qualities of each Residence Team member, maximising their strengths by creating successful teamwork
- To be able to remain calm and cope well under pressure, managing each situation professionally at all times (when others may well be losing their heads)
- To be able to effectively maintain/update required documentation, where necessary for regular admin duties, delegate to members of the Residence Team and manage the completion of these various duties
- Understanding of accountability, fulfilling compliance and the associated implications
- Experience of controlling expenditure and working to budget
- Management experience
- Willingness to travel between residences
- You will be personable and approachable, with an authoritative yet friendly manner
- You will also have a willingness to organise and participate in extracurricular activities with the Residence students
- Diploma/degree in an associated area
- Teaching qualification (desirable but not essential)
Desirable attributes include
- Experience working with students within an English language residential school
- Fire Awareness training
- Health & Safety training
- First Aid training
- Additional language(s)
- Knowledge of local area
- Own car
- Successful DBS and signed up to the Update Service
An essential attribute
- A natural leader with a sense of humour
How to apply
To apply for this position please send, to the following email address, your CV and brief covering letter explaining why you are most suited to this role: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be made as soon as possible and interviews will commence upon receipt and consideration of application.
Successful appointment will be dependent upon:
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references (including confirmation of no child safeguarding concerns)
Kings is an Equal Opportunities employer and we adhere to the principles of equal opportunity in all aspects of our recruitment process.
It is Kings Education's policy not to communicate further with applicants other than those who are shortlisted for a position.