Show/hide menu


Q: How many years is an American undergraduate degree?


A: Typically, US undergraduate degrees require four years of full-time study. The academic year normally runs for nine months, with two semesters per year. 

In America, the first year of a degree is known as the Freshman year, the second as the Sophomore year, the third as the Junior year and the final as the Senior year.

Graduate degrees in America usually take one or two years to complete.

Q: What’s the difference between a college and university?


A: In many countries, a college is of lower ranking than a university, and offers only vocational courses, but this is not the case in the US. In fact, many of the best private universities in the country are called colleges. Traditionally, it was only universities that offered graduate programs, but today this is no longer true.

Q: What’s the difference between a public and private university?


A: In America, there are both public and private universities, and at Kings, you have access to both.

Private universities tend to offer more facilities and greater levels of personalised student/faculty interaction, but are normally more expensive.

Public universities and community colleges are state-run. They are usually larger and offer more study options. They also tend to be less expensive.

Q: What is a Liberal Arts university?


A: At Liberal Arts universities, the first two years are spent studying a broad range of subjects before you specialise in your Major. This means you have plenty of time to make your decision.

Q: What are the requirements for admission to US colleges and universities?


A: Each university has its own requirements for admission. To apply for an undergraduate degree, you need to have completed high school, and achieved a particular Grade Point Average (GPA). The GPA required varies from university to university, although will generally be a minimum of 2.5. Generally speaking, the more prestigious the university, the higher the GPA required.

For international students, there is also an English language requirement, which must be proved by submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score.

Those applying for graduate programs may also be required to take the GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) for business Masters program, or the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) for other Masters programs.

Q: How many credits do I need to gain each year at university?


A: Each course you study will earn academic credits. There are usually 3-4 credits per course. You will normally be expected to complete 120”130 credit hours to complete an undergraduate degree.

To progress from one year to the next you need to be considered in academic good standing. This is usually measured as a Grade Point Average (GPA). You will usually need to maintain a GPA of at least 2.0 to progress to the next academic year. 

Q: How will I be assessed during my degree?


A: Unlike university study in other countries, evaluation of students occurs frequently, often several times in a single academic course. Assessment can be based on a range of things, including examinations and essays.

Class attendance and participation can also form part of the evaluation. It’s important to understand your tutors' expectations and assessment processes at the beginning of the term.

Q: What are the benefits of transferring after year 1?


A: One of the main benefits is that it’s much less competitive to enter university as a transfer student. Also, many highly-ranked universities have large classes (sometimes with over 100 students), so starting out at a university with smaller classes can be better for those international students who want time to acclimatise to the US study system.

Q: I haven’t finished high school yet, can I still apply?


A: Yes, we encourage you to still apply.  When you request your transcripts they must indicate the expected date of graduation.  In a case where this information is not available on the transcripts, please request an additional letter confirming your date of graduation.  If you have not finished High School and are interested in completing your secondary education in the United States, you may take our Undergraduate Preparation Program + High School Completion Program.  Please contact an advisor for more information. 

Q: Do I need a TOEFL score?


A: No, if you are planning to enroll in the University Preparation Program at Kings prior to beginning your pathway program, we can admit you after completing the Kings Pre-arrival Exam. 

If however, you would like to start the pathway program immediately, then an official TOEFL score is required for admission.


Q: Is my transfer into a progression school guaranteed?


A: No progression to any university is guaranteed. However, if you give us your best effort, maintain good grades and take your required exams based on the specific progression university, you will be in the best possible position to receive an acceptance from a variety of quality and reputable universities after your first or second year of the pathway program. 

Q: Will I need to take the SAT?


A: No, you do not need the SAT to apply to Kings Pathways.  However, if you are planning to go to the best schools in the United States, the SAT may be required.  Your Kings Counselor will work with you to determine the best plan for you.  As a Kings Pathways student you will have access to free TOEFL and SAT Preparation resources.

Q: What are the differences between a Kings pathway program and a community college course?


A: There are many differences between the experience in a Kings pathway program and the community college route. 

Kings Pathways classes are much smaller than a general community college class, averaging less than 25. 

Kings Pathways students have access to a wider variety of classes and a greater ease taking the core requirements needed for progression.  As a result, whereas community college students often spend extra time completing their programs, Kings Pathways students remain on track to graduate in only four years. 

When it comes to faculty, you’ll find a greater number of full-time professors with doctorate degrees than at a typical community college. 

Pathway students are guaranteed accommodation on campus, whereas most community colleges do not provide housing. 

Lastly, Kings Pathways include support throughout the program which will help you get into the school of your choice.

Q: What if my visa is denied?


A: If your visa is denied, we can help you prepare to apply again.  If you decide not to apply again or are rejected the second time, we will refund your deposit in full after the receipt of your rejection letter.