Sample pathways including English for Academic Study
This course is for students who do not yet have the English language level needed to start a Kings pre-university course, and who need careful and thorough preparation for the intellectual and linguistic demands of GCSE, A-level or Kings Foundation courses.
Close, individual attention
- Regular tutorials providing individual guidance
- Frequent progress tests
- Regular reports (copies available to parents).
The fully integrated tuition system develops learning and study skills as well as language skills.
The course will enable students to:
- become familiar with the conventions and expectations of the UK education system
- become familiar with the style of language used in academic texts
- increase your speed in reading and writing
- enlarge your vocabulary, especially in relation to academic subjects
- learn to identify key facts and information from a wide range of texts
- learn to organise and set out factual information clearly and coherently, orally and in writing
- learn to identify and analyse the main argument in a text or presentation
- learn to express ideas and opinions logically and confidently using appropriate language
- learn to challenge the ideas of others and present contrasting views
- master the different types of assessment task used in the A-level exams and Foundation courses
The syllabus has been carefully developed by our English language and academic staff.
It is highly intensive. Each term provides 280 hours of tuition. You will have an average of 25 to 28 hours of lessons each week plus 12 to 15 hours of private study.
The course is fully integrated with the academic programmes for which it will prepare you. There is a progressive series of English language teaching modules. Each builds on the one before it.
Successful application and effort means you will have progressed by an average of IELTS 0.5 every 6-12 weeks studied, and you can proceed directly to an academic course at Kings.