Pathways and progress on the Graduate Preparation Program
This program provides the perfect preparation for those students who want to pursue a graduate degree at one of our partner institutions, but do not yet have the required English level or test scores.
It delivers an individual approach to learning and skills development through small, focused classes and regular tutorials delivered by academic English and TOEFL specialists.
On successful completion of the program, students progress to their chosen degree at Rider University or Concordia College.
Our Graduate Preparation Program structure varies by student, but follows a general, annual system of two semesters + summer session. On average students progress by 15 points on the TOEFL iBT range each term (10 at higher levels).
- Close, personal attention in small groups
- Regular tutorials so that tutors and the Academic Affairs Manager can provide individual guidance
- Frequent progress tests
- Regular reports
The program will enable students to:
- Become familiar with the US education system
- Become familiar with the style of language used in academic texts
- Increase reading and writing speed
- Enlarge vocabulary, especially in relation to academic subjects
- Identify key facts and information from a wide range of texts
- Organize and set out factual information clearly and coherently, orally and in writing
- Identify and analyze the main argument in a text or presentation
- Express ideas and opinions logically and confidently
1. English for Academic Study
Students are prepared for the intellectual and linguistic demands of graduate-level study at one of our partner institutions.
2. Academic Study Skills
This component ensures students:
- Are trained in the study skills, conventions and style required for a master's degree in the USA
- Can express themselves effectively in their own fields of study
- Can deliver authoritative presentations and contribute effectively in seminars
- Can assess and evaluate their own strengths, interests, and options so they make informed decisions in their studies
- Can assert their own ideas in academic contexts
3. Test Preparation: GRE, GMAT
If required for progression to a master's degree at one of our partner institutions, GRE/GMAT test preparation is offered.
Please note, extra tutoring and test preparation is available at additional cost.
4. Preparation guidance
Guiding students on preparation, specifically, for study in one of our partner master's degrees.
From Kings Life
Thu is from Vietnam and took the Graduate Preparation Program at Kings New Jersey, improving her English as well as her knowledge of other cultures.