Sample timetable for the IELTS Preparation course
The course is aimed at improving the key language skills you need to score as high as possible in all parts of the IELTS exam.
Kings Oxford has been the IELTS testing centre for the Oxford region since 1996. This means you can organise both your preparation and your test with us.
What is included in the price
You’ll get all this as part of the course price:
- 28 lessons per week
- Welcome Information Pack
- Placement test on arrival, weekly progress tests and regular homework
- Teaching materials and use of coursebook
- Use of Computer Learning Centre
- Access to ClassMate online learning
- Wireless internet in College
- Optional weekly lecture programme
- Two free social activities per week
- End-of-course certificate
Please note: exam fees are not included.
You’ll study 20 lessons per week of General English lessons (15 hours) plus 8 lessons of IELTS preparation lessons (6 hours) each week. You can combine the course with additional one-to-one lessons of IELTS preparation.
A wide range of areas are covered in the course, focussing on the four parts of the exam: speaking, reading, writing and listening. In addition to exam-specific training, the course also helps students to develop their broader communication and English language skills.
You will also be given training in exam techniques and strategies, such as:
- working under exam conditions
- understanding the requirements of each section of the exam
- understanding what the examiner is looking for
- planning and reviewing your answers
- preparing mentally for exam day
- time management
- practice of actually completing four parts of the exam under simulated exam conditions (mock exams)
About the exam
The IELTS exam has become one of the largest and most respected tests of English for educational and training purposes in the world. It is taken by over a million candidates each year. It tests both general and academic English.
Most universities require an IELTS score of 6.0 - 6.5 for undergraduate courses and 6.5 – 7.0 for postgraduate courses.
The IELTS exam is recognised by the majority of universities in the UK, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, and by over 380 universities and colleges in the USA.
IELTS is also used by a number of professional and government institutions worldwide.
We will advise you about the best date to take your IELTS exam and will help you enrol for it. Candidates are usually expected to enrol for the exam at least 5 weeks in advance.
Please note IELTS exam fees are not included in the course price.
You can find out more on the IELTS website.
From Kings Life
Ana Ozbolt from Croatia studied IELTS at Kings Oxford, and tells about her experience, and much deserved success in the exam.