Sample 2-week timetable for English Plus Law
This course is ideal for students who would like to improve their English skills for use in a variety of legal contexts.
It combines General English with specialist law-related topics and the option to prepare for the Cambridge ILEC exam.
International Legal English Certificate (Cambridge ILEC)
English is essential for anyone intent on a career in the law as it is the common language of the legal profession and international affairs.
The Cambridge ILEC , International Legal English Certificate, is a high-level language qualification for lawyers which assesses English language ability at Levels B2 and C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
It is suitable for law students intending to follow courses which include a significant English language content — either in their own country or abroad.
For more information about the ILEC exam, see also the Cambridge website.
Please note that the ILEC exam will only be available until December 2016.
From Kings Life
English Plus Law students recently visited the Houses of Parliament in London as part of their UK Legislature and Legislation law topic.
Course structure and content
In the mornings, students have lessons in General English, to improve the overall level of their English language. In the afternoons, they are part of a specialised legal English class.
2. Legal English terminology
Includes criminal vocabulary, types of court, employment law, intellectual property, company law, property law.
3. Presentation skills, formal letter writing
4. Legal case studies
5. Optional preparation for Cambridge ILEC exam (supplement applies)
- Introduction to Legal English
- Company Law
- Employment Law
- Intellectual Property
- Property Law
- Legal Practitioners
- European Union Law
- Debtor-Creditor Law
- Competition Law
Students visit law firms and legal institutions as part of this course.
Example visits include:
- The Supreme Court
- The Houses of Parliament
- The Rolls Building
- The Old Bailey (Central Criminal Court)
- The Law Society
- Croydon Crown Court
- Firm of solicitors (firm to be chosen in relation to students’ areas of interest)
- Magistrate’s Court
- The Royal Courts of Justice
Included in the price
- 28 lessons per week
- Welcome Information Pack
- Placement test on arrival, weekly progress tests and regular homework
- Teaching materials and use of coursebook
- Use of Computer Learning Centre
- Access to ClassMate online learning
- Wireless internet in College
- Optional weekly lecture programme
- Optional weekly guided self-study sessions
- Regular accompanied visits to law firms and legal institutions
- Two free social activities per week
- End-of-course certificate