Location: Bournemouth, UK
Reports to: Head of Accommodation and Welfare
Combined salary range: £34,000 – £38,000 (dependent on experience, based on £17,000 – £19,000 individual salary)
Type of contract: Full-time permanent
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible
Kings Bournemouth Residential Accommodation Department is looking for a permanent Residential House Parent and Maintenance Operative. Suitable for a couple, the role will come with the additional benefit of live-in accommodation in a Town Centre Studio Apartment with en-suite bathroom and kitchen.
We are looking for positive, enthusiastic candidates to join a small and friendly team, who can help maintain the high standards of our 4 year-round residences. Work is varied so every day is different and we have great students who make it a lovely experience!
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Head of Accommodation and Welfare, the Maintenance Operative and Residential House Parents are required to carry out a variety of tasks, sharing the responsibility between them.
- Maintenance duties (Only specific to one of the roles)
- Promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students living at the residence
- Creating a safe, welcoming and secure environment for students
- Maintaining good order and discipline within the residence
- Implementing the residence rules and procedures/li>
- Taking part in activities with the students, taking photos & using social media
- Supervising meal times and managing curfew rules
- The encouragement of a high standard of personal hygiene
- Reporting maintenance/cleaning issues to Residential Accommodation Manager
- Carrying out minor maintenance repairs at each of the residences
- Regularly liaising with Residential Accommodation Manager as well as other members of staff regarding welfare & discipline of the students, particularly those under the age of 18
- Student arrivals meet & greet, including inductions
- Student departures – check rooms & return deposits
- Walking new students to school on their first day
- Assisting students with making doctor/dentist appointments, accompanying them where necessary & recording health/medical issues
- Taking delivery of bed linen, counting, storing & recording stock
- Room checks and nightly door knocks
- Weekly/monthly fire tests (checking function of alarms, emergency lighting etc & recording results)
- Stock checks of residence supplies
- Collecting money from laundry
- Cleaning student fridges
- Making small purchases at direction of Residential Accommodation Manager
- Assisting in supervision & quality of maintenance/cleaning works
- Communicating regularly via email and writing daily reports
- Holding Student Meetings & Fire Drills
You will be required to become familiar with compliance relating to fire, health & safety and general student welfare (Ofsted regulated) within residences and will assist in updating and maintaining related documents and records.
House Parents are expected to help promote good relations within the local area and encourage students to become part of their community.
This will include any other reasonable duties within your abilities.
Full Time House Parent/ Maintenance Operative — 48 hours over 5 days per week. Due to the nature of the role, evening and weekend availability is required.
Exact working days and hours are agreed with Line Manager and can be altered each week for flexibility of Kings and Wardens, and to allow for House Parent Cover in case of sickness/ holiday.
There will be Emergency on-call 24/7 duty during working days.
Energy, empathy and flexibility are essential, along with a good work ethic and proven reliability. You will be personable and approachable, with an authoritative yet friendly manner. The ability to work as part of a team whilst being capable of using initiative is required, with a willingness to organise and participate in extracurricular activities with the residence students. You will be someone who dresses smartly for work and presents themselves appropriately at all times as a representative of the company.
Satisfactory enhanced DBS check, references and employment history are required.
Kings Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- Maintenance/caretaking experience (at least one of the roles)
- Experience of working with young adults in a supervisory role
- The ability to command attention and respect from young adults and more mature students
- Efficient organisational & admin skills
- Strong IT skills including competence with Microsoft Office and the Internet
- Will be required to use Kings Class & iSAMS database (training will be provided)
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly and cope in stressful situations
- Willingness to travel between residences (all within walking distance)
- Great attention to detail
- GCSE maths and English grades C or above
- English native-speaker competence/Level of English equivalent to CEF Level C2
Desirable attributes include
- Previous live-in role experience in a student residence
- Experience of working with international students
- A First Aid or Health & Safety qualification
- Safeguarding training
- Knowledge of local area
- Additional language(s)
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Due to the nature of the role, holiday cannot be taken from June to August inclusive (Line Manager may be able to approve the odd day for exceptional circumstances at their discretion).
How to apply
To apply for this position, or to request further information, please contact email@example.com.
Applications should be made by: ASAP. Interviews will commence and appointment may occur prior to closing date therefore you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Interviews will commence: As soon as possible.
Interviews will commence on: TBC
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible
Successful appointment will be dependent upon
- Enhanced DBS check
- Confirmation of right to work in the UK
- Satisfactory references.
Kings is an Equal Opportunities employer and we adhere to the principles of equal opportunity in all aspects of our recruitment process.